Let's Discuss Colette's Heavenly White Cake Recipe

Decorating By Cakepro Updated 9 Oct 2005 , 11:33pm by BlakesCakes

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 9 Oct 2005 , 7:26pm
post #1 of 6

I was looking through Colette's Cakes to Dream On book for inspiration the other day and thought I'd give her "Heavenly White Cake" recipe a try. Several things confounded me about this recipe.

The recipe instructed to divide the batter between two 8" or 9" round pans. I used two 8" x 3" rounds.

First, it does not serve 20 as the recipe states. It yielded enough batter to make two 8" round, 3" high cakes. I'm too lazy to dig out my serving guide, but that's way more than 20 servings.

Second, it says to bake the cakes in a 325 degree F oven for 30 - 35 minutes. Just like every full-sized cake baked in an 8" x 3" round pan, it took more like 55 minutes to bake.

Third, there was nothing white about this cake. It called for 10 ounces of brown sugar (in addition to 11 ounces of white sugar). The inside of the cake was a light caramel color. I should have thought to use light brown sugar rather than dark brown sugar, but the recipe didn't specify and I just grabbed the first brown sugar I saw in my pantry.

Fourth and final point: it totally disappointed me. icon_sad.gif Although it called for 8 ounces each of AP flour and cake flour, the AP flour taste really shone through. I followed the recipe precisely, including measuring by weight on a professional digital scale, and used high-quality ingredients. No McCormick's imitation vanilla extract in my cakes. LOL

So, has anyone else tried this recipe? I'd love to hear others' feedback.

5 replies
blittle6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blittle6 Posted 9 Oct 2005 , 7:33pm
post #2 of 6

I haven't tried it, but I am always up to trying something new. I have been on the look out for the "awesome" white cake and so far the one I like most is the WBH recipe.....wait I don't have that book....I have Colette's Birthday Cakes. There is a white cake recipe but it does not call for brown sugar. If you want I can post it. Will you post the recipe you have?

Berta

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 9 Oct 2005 , 7:37pm
post #3 of 6

Hi! icon_smile.gif

Actually, it's the same exact recipe with only one alteration. Her white cake recipe from Colette's Birthday Cakes calls for 21 ounces of white sugar. Her Heavenly White Cake recipe calls for that 21 ounces of sugar divided into 11 ounces of white sugar and 10 ounces of brown sugar. That's the only difference! Everything else is exactly the same.

So, how many cakes/servings did her white cake recipe yield for you? You don't taste the flour in her regular recipe?

ThePastryDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePastryDiva Posted 9 Oct 2005 , 7:49pm
post #4 of 6

um..a little secret...sometimes people that write books don't really give you ALL the low down on the recipes...

I know it's not fair, but that's just the way it is.

I've meet Colette in passing and she seems like a very nice lady...maybe if you email her she can explain

( ps..let us know if she comes trough..lol)

blittle6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blittle6 Posted 9 Oct 2005 , 8:41pm
post #5 of 6

Well, all white cakes taste flour- ish to me; that why I am always in search of the elusive best recipe.

I do get 2 8x3 inch pans when I make it.

I agree with PastryDiva we never get the real deal from the books....that's why the recipes have to be played with.

Berta

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 9 Oct 2005 , 11:33pm
post #6 of 6

When I attended classes with Colette, she' seemed very proud of the recipes in her books and was quick to point out a small error in one of her chocolate cake recipes in her most recent book.

I,too, think that if you e-mail Colette she'll clear up the issue. Her website has a "contact colette" link : colettescakes.com . It's certainly worth a try.

Rae
BlakesCakes

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%