Doctoring Up A Dh Red Velvet Cake Mix

Baking By vdrsolo Updated 20 Apr 2007 , 6:34pm by tarisca

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 7:20pm
post #1 of 8

I'm experimenting with doctoring up a Duncan Hines Red Velvet Cake mix. I plan on adding 1 pkg of instant pudding, adding an additional egg, use the same amount of oil, replace the water with buttermilk, and add a tsp of pure vanilla extract.

My question is...should I use chocolate pudding, but will that take away too much of the red, or should I use cheesecake pudding, but will that take away some of the chocolate taste (but maybe add 2T cocoa?).

I have used the Original Cake mix doctor version using the german chocolate mix but it tasted kinda bland to me, but I don't know what a true red velvet cake is supposed to taste like. Some of the scratch recipes to me tasted oily.

I would like to start out with the DH red velvet, so I don't have to buy the red food coloring, that stuff is messy!

Thanks!

7 replies
MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 7:22pm
post #2 of 8

I used chocolate and it does not make any difference in the color, just makes it more yummy!

deb

rhopar33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhopar33 Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 7:22pm
post #3 of 8

I had found a doctored DH red velvet recipe on here but now I can't find it. When I tried it it was delicious and I have misplaced theb recipe. I do remember that it said to add one bottle of red food color (liquid) because the choc pudding darkened it.

HTH,
Rhonda

bookbabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bookbabe Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 9:51pm
post #4 of 8

I always use choc pudding and add a few spoons of cocoa. I guess it turns a darker red--not a bright red. But it's still red....

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 9:58pm
post #5 of 8

When I make red velvet cake I use a duncan hines mix and all of the called for ingredients. I also add: 1 egg, 8 oz sour cream, 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, 1/2t salt, 3T cocoa powder, 1T melted butter. I get rave reviews for the cake. I like it myself, but I have never had any other red velvet cake to compare it to! icon_redface.gif

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 1:27pm
post #6 of 8

Wow! Thatnks everyone for your responses! This site is so addicting!! I have been decorating for 11 years and I have already learned so new tricks!! I've been using the Viva paper towel method for years but came across the Melvira Method so I,m going to have to make a trip to Lowes!!

Anyway....there are so many ways to doctor this mix up....I want to try all of them!! I know a lady that really likes Red Velvet cake so I will probably give her samples.

I'm going to start with two of them I think.

The first one I'm just going to add choc pudding, an extra egg, replace water with buttermilk, and add 1tsp vanilla.

The second one is going to be an extender recipe I came across in another thread that has:
DH Red Velvet Cake Mix
substitute buttermilk for the water and add 2/3 cup more buttermilk to that
cream one stick of butter and the amount of oil called for on the mix with 3/4 cup of sugar
add the 3 eggs listed on the box one at a time
add a half box of chocolate pudding and one cup of cake flour and 1 teaspoon of baking powder
mix in the buttermilk and cake mix, alternating

I'm even curious to try the box as is, just to see if I can tell a huge difference in between doctored and nondoctored!!

I'll hopefully try it in the next week, Walmart was out of full fat cream cheese and I need to get back to the store, its just too cold out!!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 3:25am
post #7 of 8

Here's what BlakesCakes posted in another thread. (I'm planning on trying it tonight).

Quote:
Quote:

I use the DH red velvet mix with buttermilk instead of water, and extra egg, 1 box of instant white chocolate pudding, and 2 TBSP of Hershey's cocoa powder added--it is basically a red colored milk chocolate cake mix to start. It's delicious and I haven't had "red" troubles, either.

Rae

tarisca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarisca Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 6:34pm
post #8 of 8

I've tried the enhanced cake recipe on two occasions I did add the butter. I was told that the cake was very good. In fact I used it today on a cake for my boss's daughter and waiting to hear the response on monday.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%