I Am Sooooo Stupid!!!!!please Help

Decorating By gibson Updated 10 Oct 2005 , 10:56pm by ThePastryDiva

gibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gibson Posted 9 Oct 2005 , 3:50am
post #1 of 29

Okay I was just working on my spongebob cake and I crumb coated with white icing, I think I should have used yellow! How do I put the yellow on without the white showing when I go to smooth?

I can't believe how stupid I am!!

28 replies
CakemanOH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakemanOH Posted 9 Oct 2005 , 3:55am
post #2 of 29

You should be fine. You put your yellow on thicker than the white since it is your final coat. And the white should be crusted so you should not have any mixing whatsoever. i think you are ok here.

edencakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edencakes Posted 9 Oct 2005 , 3:56am
post #3 of 29

I agree with ceculsk, if you let it crust well and put on a thick coat, you should be fine. Just ice carefully!

Good luck.

gibson Posted 9 Oct 2005 , 3:57am
post #4 of 29

THANK YOU SO MUCH! for the quick replies!! and the advice!

I shall continue..........will probably be back though!

gibson Posted 9 Oct 2005 , 5:49am
post #5 of 29

Just an update for those who care....

all is not going well!! My cake crumbs came through and I used a lot of icing! All I've ever done before is stars so I don't know what I am doing wrong.....I am very discouraged right now and feel like giving up! icon_cry.gif This cake is for my best friends kids, it's not a paid cake but I really, really wanted it to turn out.
I don't know how to get the cake smooth.
What to do?

edencakes Posted 9 Oct 2005 , 5:52am
post #6 of 29

Maybe your icing is too stiff? I know if mine isn't thin enough it tends to tear the cake surface.

Whatever you do - don't give up! I'm sure it will turn out. Take a deep breath... I'm sure someone will have some more helpful advice than me!

aliciaL_77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciaL_77 Posted 9 Oct 2005 , 5:53am
post #7 of 29

This may not help but I feel your pain.. I had something similar happen to me and I chilled my cake for a bit then put another coat of icing.... it wasnt perfect but it helped... you can always embellish where the bad parts are.. I hope this helps, if not, sorry adn I am sure you will find a way icon_biggrin.gif

gibson Posted 9 Oct 2005 , 6:00am
post #8 of 29

Thanks guys, I really wish I could take a course or two....I know that would help me tremendously! There is no Wilton courses or Michaels around so I'm trying to self teach....don't know if that was such a good idea! lol! How do you self teach when you don't know anything????lol
I was looking into culinary schools in my area and I mean where I will be moving to this school would still be 3 hours away.....in Calgary, AB, so it's out of the question! I would looooove to take the culinary course!!!

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 9 Oct 2005 , 6:02am
post #9 of 29

Both are great advice! I agree that your icing is probably too thick. Thin it out & try not to press so hard with the spatula. Don't get discouraged. Take your time. It will work out! Everytime I decorate a cake I have mishaps! Sometimes I have to leave the cake alone & come back to it later. It all works out in the end. You'll do fine!

edencakes Posted 9 Oct 2005 , 6:09am
post #10 of 29

Don't worry - I'm sure you're doing great! I've never taken a class either - everything self-taught. I do know what you mean about feeling like it would be easier if you could take a class, but imagine how proud you'll be when you get something down perfect all on your own!

I'm sure even those who have taken classes will tell you - it all comes down to practise in the end.

gibson Posted 9 Oct 2005 , 6:44am
post #11 of 29

edencakes,

I've seen your work and it is gorgeous!! Have you ever felt like I have? I am not going to post a pic of this cake, that's how bad it is! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif I WILL NOT give up! (Well I have on this cake cause there is no hope! lol). I will keep trying but I know I'll be bugging all of the CC members for help! I did learn a few things.....
I've never stacked a cake (that was exciting!)
My icing was too thick!
A local grocery store sells cake boards and dowels! lol
Try not to pick the most difficult cake (which I think I did for my level of cake decorating) I really wish I could have pulled it off, I'm sure everyone else could have, they are so talented! I just feel I'm never going to be that talented... icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif
Okay, I'll stop crying now.....

edencakes Posted 9 Oct 2005 , 6:51am
post #12 of 29

gibson, I've felt that way so many times! I seriously have given up on cake decorating so many times, but I just keep coming back! What you don't see are ALL of the failures that I didn't bother taking pictures of! icon_redface.gif

You WILL get there, I promise. Especially with all of the talented people on this site helping! I wish I'd known about this place ten years ago when I picked up my first piping bag icon_lol.gif

So this cake isn't working out the way you wanted. It's really okay! You learn from experience, both good and bad (sometimes more from the bad!). This is only making you better! Professionals have disasters, too, it's natural. Designs don't always work out and we have to improvise. Who knows? You might end up with something you like more!

Hang in there, we're all behind you!

gibson Posted 9 Oct 2005 , 6:58am
post #13 of 29

THANK YOU EDENCAKES!

I really want to suceed at this so it really hurts when one doesn't turn out! I just get frustrated because I see everybody's wonderful and amazing work and want to have the talent and capabilties to do everything right now! I guess one thing cake decorating will teach me is patience!
You are absolutely right though...about everything and knowing I have CC behind me is a big help!

THANKS SO MUCH for the pep talk I really needed it! thumbs_up.gif

edencakes Posted 9 Oct 2005 , 7:04am
post #14 of 29

Any time! thumbs_up.gif

Oh, and I meant to thank you for the nice compliments on my cakes, since I'm usually the one envying other peoples' skills icon_biggrin.gif

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 9 Oct 2005 , 7:09am
post #15 of 29

Hi gibson,

Which Spongebob are you doing?

If you can't get the icing smooth to your liking, try using the stars to cover it up.

Don't give up!!

freddie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddie Posted 9 Oct 2005 , 8:53am
post #16 of 29

I agree with stephanie214, you can save the cake just do it in stars to cover it up, or if you still want it to be smooth do the stars then smooth them, or if you have the large icing tip use it then smooth. I love the large icing tip, never show crumbs when using it !!! Sounds like your icing was definately to stiff, had that happen before.

I assure we all have had those Pulling out your hair, getting tired, nothing is working out days !!! Guess I shouldn't speak for everyone else but I have definately had those days !!!

Don't give up wasn't long ago you were sure you would never get a 3-D Bear cake to work, and you did and made a great little dinosaur !!!

Keep Smilin......

twindees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twindees Posted 9 Oct 2005 , 12:52pm
post #17 of 29

Clam down. When i am feeling like this i walk away for a bit then resume.

Good Luck

We all have these days. thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

okieinalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okieinalaska Posted 10 Oct 2005 , 2:02am
post #18 of 29

I feel your pain! It will get better and easier. I live in Alaska, no classes here to take either. You can do it it just takes practice. My cakes still don't turn out exactly like I have them in my head but they are getting better and better.

If it makes you feel better here is my bad cake story:
The very first cake I ever made was for my daughter's 4th birthday. The first cake stuck to the character pan, the second cake the dog ate (before I got it decorated luckily) and by the time I baked my third cake and started decorating, (with only hours to go till the party started) it looked like strawberry shortcake from H E double hockeysticks, LOL. I stopped and had a good cry and then decided I wasn't going to quit. I finished it and it wasn't that bad.

I asked my hubby to take a pic of it so I could always remember this cake and he did get a pic, from clear across the room. The cake was technically in the picture... icon_cry.gif but barely.

It is so disappointing when it doesn't turn out the way you have it pictured. But keep on truckin', you will be amazed at how quickly you improve. icon_smile.gif And if you friend is like mine, they will still love the cake you made.

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 10 Oct 2005 , 2:20am
post #19 of 29

gibson...I am so sorry you have had so much trouble! I used to always have to do stars because I could never get my icing smooth. After practicing with a thinner consistency...my star days are over. Your next cake will go much better...don't give up!!! icon_smile.gif
traci

ThePastryDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePastryDiva Posted 10 Oct 2005 , 2:20am
post #20 of 29

I propose that they start a new gallery...

Of cake disasters or cakes gone wrong so you can see that you're not the only one that has ever had to struggle with a cake...lol

I'd be the first one to post! Too bad I didn't take a picture of the Cat-tastrophy cake..lol

Lemondrop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lemondrop Posted 10 Oct 2005 , 2:31am
post #21 of 29

I agree with Pastrydiva, a disaster gallery would make us all feel normal.

Gibson, if you wait a bit, and let the icing crust a little, it might be easier to frost.....let us know how it turned out.

Hugs,

Denise

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 10 Oct 2005 , 2:32am
post #22 of 29

pastrydiva...that is a good idea! I think we all have days that we would need to look in that gallery! icon_smile.gif
traci

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 10 Oct 2005 , 3:14am
post #23 of 29

My first paid cake I had the same problem. I hadn't yet taken any of the Wilton classes and had no idea there were different consistencies to BC. I just got a recipe and went for it. I had a heck of a time with it, but it finally turned out OK. It was my own fault for doing a carved cake with curves and points, but I just let it crust over and smoothed with my hands and paper towels.

That durn cake took forever to do, but what an experience! And what a revelation when I finally learned that cakes are supposed to be iced with thinned icing!

I'll bet if you posted a pic of the cake you'd get all kinds of support,
Hugs from TX

tcturtleshell Posted 10 Oct 2005 , 4:02am
post #24 of 29

We do have a disaster forum. Members post their disaster cakes in there all the time. I have a German Choc Cake that I need to post there but keep forgetting to do it~ So post your cakes in your posts in the disaster forum ~

ThePastryDiva Posted 10 Oct 2005 , 4:29am
post #25 of 29

no turtle not the forum....we need a straight up gallery..lol

tcturtleshell Posted 10 Oct 2005 , 5:22am
post #26 of 29

The disaster forum has always been used for pics. Jackie just added a few new galleries not too long ago. There's no reason not to post your pics in the disaster forum~

gibson Posted 10 Oct 2005 , 5:51am
post #27 of 29

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!

I have to tell you I was so embarassed I didn't take a pic...but when I brought it to my friends she loved it! and most importantly so did her kids! I can't believe it! That's all the kids talked about was the cake. Darn thing looked horrible like a spongebob that was squished. I think the cake should have been taller...not enough room to do all the details. I'll see if she can get me a copy of the pic and I might post it....I'm telling you, you will all laugh your butts off!
By the way, I ended up giving up on it so he's missing his legs and arms and the details aren't good at all!
I honestly think my friend didn't want to hurt my feelings....although I also think she would have laughed, we've been friends since elementary school so she knows me pretty good!
I agree that they should have a disaster gallery because when we are having a bad cake day we could come on here and take a look and think to ourselves "at least I'm not the only one"

Thank you everybody for your kind words of advice and encouragment! I will keep truckin in okieinalaska's words!

okieinalaska:

Stay warm!

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 10 Oct 2005 , 10:52pm
post #28 of 29

Very few bother to use the separate forums for the subjects, why would they bother with a separate cake disaster gallery? Janice

ThePastryDiva Posted 10 Oct 2005 , 10:56pm
post #29 of 29

To post our shame with no explanations..lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%