Mrsmissey,calidawn, Squirrelycakes... Question For You

Decorating By tcturtleshell Updated 9 Mar 2005 , 11:38pm by tcturtleshell

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 7 Mar 2005 , 7:44pm
post #1 of 17

When you ladies use MM fondant do you use the recipe that is posted on this forum? Just wondering. I am going to try it today for my practice wedding cake~ icon_biggrin.gif

To any else.... can you give me some tips on MMF too? I'd really appreciate it!! thumbs_up.gif

Thank you everyone!!!!!!!
icon_smile.gif TCturtleshell

16 replies
MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 7 Mar 2005 , 7:51pm
post #2 of 17

Yep...sure do! It is very easy to make and just as easy to work with. It starts out looking like just a mess but don't let that bother you. Once it is all mixed together, it is fantastic!

-TenderHeart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-TenderHeart Posted 7 Mar 2005 , 7:52pm
post #3 of 17

Hey, TC. I'd recommend just about anything Bunnywoman has posted on the Wilton forum re: marshmallow fondant. She knows of what she speaks. icon_smile.gif There is an ever-growing thread there titled "marshmallow fondant and tips for success" that is well worth reading. thumbs_up.gif Good luck. icon_smile.gif

mochaboi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mochaboi Posted 7 Mar 2005 , 8:05pm
post #4 of 17

HA! Tenderheart, I JUST finished reading that forum *whew, talk about all day reading..LOL* And yes, I am sold on Bunnywomans wisdom as well. As for the MM Fondant, everything I have read about it says it at least tastes better than Wiltons fondant (which I still have not tasted, I'm afraid icon_confused.gif

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 7 Mar 2005 , 8:22pm
post #5 of 17

I used the MMF from this site for my "just for fun" cake. It worked beautifully and my son and nephew loved it!

Debbie

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 7 Mar 2005 , 11:40pm
post #6 of 17

I don't know which recipe is posted on this site. I use this one:

1-cup miniature marshmallows
1 Tablespoon water
A few drops of flavoring
About 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar

Place the marshmallows in a large microwave safe container with the water. Gently melt to a smooth mixture, removing after a few seconds to stir. Add powdered sugar a little at a time until you cannot stir anymore in. Knead in more sugar until you have very soft pliable dough.

thecakemaker Posted 8 Mar 2005 , 1:31am
post #7 of 17

that looks like the one i used too.

Debbie

tcturtleshell Posted 8 Mar 2005 , 6:36am
post #8 of 17

Well thank ya'll very much! I didn't get a chance to make it today because I didn't have a double boiler! icon_sad.gif I forgot I threw mine away a few years ago because I had melted candle wax in it. icon_surprised.gif I didn't think I should use it for food after that! thumbsdown.gif I will probably try it on Fri. I have a bday cake to do for Sat.

OH.... please pray for me. I am icing & decorating my practice wedding cake tomorrow!! I am also transporting it to the FD so everyone can taste it after the meeting. I'm decorating it w/ all FD stuff!! It's going to be so cute IF I don't mess up!!!! Please pray it will all turn out great! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! birthday.gif
I WILL POST MY PICTURES AS SOON AS I CAN GET THEM DEVELPED!! Probably Wed. icon_smile.gif IF I can finally figure out how to download them from my camera it will be Tues! I'm so excite!!!! My first wedding cake!!!!!!! icon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_eek.gif

thecakemaker Posted 8 Mar 2005 , 1:43pm
post #9 of 17

You don't need a double boiler - you can do it in the microwave. You'll do a great job on the cake! Just have a little faith in yourself - it will take you far! Can't wait to see the pictures.

Debbie

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 8 Mar 2005 , 7:34pm
post #10 of 17

Read the recipe I posted above in this thread. It involves a microwave, not a double-boiler.

Also, I don't own a double-boiler but I use one all the time!

I fit a metal bowl inside of my pot and wa-la! Double boiler!!! Don't waste money on things you may already own. Save money for more toys!!

In the top two pictures the bowl is a little bit bigger than the pot, but still works. In the bottom two, it fits perfectly, I can still use the lid but the bowl is not as deep. But you can see how both will work.

Good luck!!

-TenderHeart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-TenderHeart Posted 8 Mar 2005 , 7:50pm
post #11 of 17

Look at Dawn, posting photos right and left. icon_wink.gif

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 8 Mar 2005 , 8:03pm
post #12 of 17

Hey man... can't keep me down!!

tcturtleshell Posted 9 Mar 2005 , 5:37am
post #13 of 17

Thank you again Dawn!!!! I will NOT go & buy me a double boiler!!! I just bought me a medium size pan just like the one in your tutorial!!!! This is the first time I saw you post because I have been icing cakes all day!! Thank you !!!!!

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 9 Mar 2005 , 6:27am
post #14 of 17

I'm all about saving money for other things!!

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 9 Mar 2005 , 8:39am
post #15 of 17

I would have never thought about the mixing bowl and a pan.... I dont have a metal mixing bowl, but would a glass bowl do ok if its oven proof?

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 9 Mar 2005 , 3:59pm
post #16 of 17

I'm not sure. I would guess it would be OK because you're not going to get it that hot and it's not sitting directly on the heat.

But I'm not 100% sure....

I'm a risk taker... I would try it.

Let us know!!

tcturtleshell Posted 9 Mar 2005 , 11:38pm
post #17 of 17

I forgot to thank cakemaker & tenderheart... THANK YOU!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%