Do You Make Fondant? Or Buy It?

Decorating By magic8161 Updated 31 Jan 2007 , 10:27pm by poptart

magic8161 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
magic8161 Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 11:42am
post #1 of 22

what do you guys do? buy it made already? or make it yourself? i would think its easyer to buy it but what do i know iam knew..................Jimmy

21 replies
grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 11:53am
post #2 of 22

I have always bought it, but it ISN'T cheap....... all the raves about MMF, made me want to try my hand at it, so that is going to be my project for the day........ wish me luck !!

magic8161 Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 11:57am
post #3 of 22

please let us know how it turned out? and what is mmf mean?

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 12:00pm
post #4 of 22

I've done both. I think it's FUN to make MMF, but, if I'm in a hurry I buy and flavor it. I also do a LOT of candy clay. I really like it much better than fondant because of the bright colors I can get and I don't have to spend an arm and a leg on Satin Ice to just make a few pieces for a cake!

Beth in KY

sweet_as_tisse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_as_tisse Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 12:04pm
post #5 of 22

i buy Fondx for covering cakes, its a fantastic fondant to work with, as for mmf i make it in the small batches and use it for decorations.. i tried to cover a cake with it once and it was terrible, it cracked and the elasticity isn't as good as the Fondx...

thats just my experience with both..

kylie

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 12:15pm
post #6 of 22

MMF= Marshmallow Fondant. Recipes on this site.

Beth in KY

magic8161 Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 12:43pm
post #7 of 22

Thanks beth!!! being a newbie iam still learning........Jimmy

patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 12:50pm
post #8 of 22

I always make my fondant, MMF. The Wilton Fondant is completely nasty and any other Fondant out there I can only get on-line and it is expensive so MMF it is. It is cheap and easy to make and tastes good! It also colors very well.

cakesbykellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykellie Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 12:54pm
post #9 of 22

i buy SatinIce fondant. I have tried a few times to make MMF and it doesnt come out rght!!! it's way too frustrating for me.... however, i am sure i will try again and again to make it because it would be ALOT cheaper!! (i'm a sucker for a bargain)

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 12:58pm
post #10 of 22

I always buy Satin Ice now. MMF and I just do not get a long, so I gave up. MMF tastes great, but I could never get the consistency right. And I am certainly too lazy to make another fondant that has a list of ingredients that goes on forever... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Granpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Granpam Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 12:58pm
post #11 of 22

I make my own but not MMF. I don't cover cakes with it I use it strictly for making figures and decorations.

drwendy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drwendy Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 9:02pm
post #12 of 22

At this point (very early) in my decorating life, I much prefer to make my own MMF. I use the "Alternative" recipe from this site which incorporates 1/3 cup Crisco into it. This makes it much more pliable and much less sticky. I will never use Wilton fondant again...just tastes like paste. I have no problem covering cakes or modelling figures or flowers with that "alternative" recipe. Try it, but be aware that it makes a TON of fondant...easily enough to cover 2- 9" cakes and make some decorations. It's messy to make, but I personally think that's kinda fun.

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 9:13pm
post #13 of 22

magic: you may be a "newbie" but we are all learning!! icon_smile.gif

I have used Wilton starting out. I'm in to SatinIce right now trying to master that before moving to Pettinice and MMF.
I buy my fondant. Before trying to make any I think I need to know what the different consistencies are between the "store bought" ones first.
I read on here as much as possible about people making their own and am trying to log all the tips for later use. I personal enjoy learning from all the members on this site!! Such a group of talented people in one place! Thank You! thumbs_up.gif

katy625 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katy625 Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 9:57pm
post #14 of 22

I make MMF but when you have a large cake it is hard to make 7 batches! So then I would buy Satin Ice if I had to buy.

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 10:00pm
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic8161

please let us know how it turned out? and what is mmf mean?

Welcome to Cakecentral, here is a link to some of the acronyms frequently used on this website:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926.html

Hope that helps!
thumbs_up.gif

sada Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sada Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 10:06pm
post #16 of 22

I allways make fondant and have no idea how the premade one looks or tastes (you can't get it in this part of the world). I can't stand the taste of fondant but many of my friends can eat it pure and they like it. I use my fondant for decoration, figures and of course to cover cakes with it.

qtkaylassweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qtkaylassweets Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 10:13pm
post #17 of 22

With the few times that I have used Fondant, I have used Wilton and I have made MMF.
I will just say that Wilton Fondant is just plain gross.
Now, MMF is pretty good but it is not easy for me to make it. You really get a work out (IMO) and I have a hard time getting on the treadmill! icon_lol.gif

cakerlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakerlady Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 10:15pm
post #18 of 22

I have used Satin Ice since I discovered it here on CC. To me the Wilton tastes and smells nasty. While I can't eat fondant (diabetic) I want any cake that comes out of my kitchen to taste good to others (those who eat fondant at least). Besides now matter how much I wash my hands my DH says it can smell it on them in bed at night. And he thinks the smell of Satin Ice is sexy!

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 10:15pm
post #19 of 22

Why is it that Wilton won't improve on their fondant? I have yet to see one person say "oh, I love Wilton's fondant". Gosh you would think they'd get a clue!

I have made MMF and don't like making it so I order mine. Pettinice. I do use Wilton (it's easy to get here) for making decorations. I figure no one eats the decorations.
Jacqui

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 10:16pm
post #20 of 22

Satin Ice "sexy" huh...I might need some of that!
Jacqui

cakenbake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenbake Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 10:26pm
post #21 of 22

Great thread! I really want to learn fondant. I have done some decorations with sucess but every time I try to cover a cake it cracks and looks terrible! I tried Wiltion's. I agree, it tastes terrible! I have been trying mmf, may be thats my problem. I will buy some Satin until I can improve. Does anyone recommend a good website to get it from? Here maybe? There are no cake supply stores on island. Thanks again CC!!!

poptart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poptart Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 10:27pm
post #22 of 22

if i buy satin ice how long will it keep

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%