Wandootie Posted 7 Oct 2005 , 1:39pm
post #1 of

Help! What is the best way to get the reddest color icing and Elmo cake? I've done reds before, but they just don't turn out a vivid as I would want them...and I used a ton of red coloring (Christmas Red or No Taste Red).

Any help would be appreciated.

Weezer

10 replies
melxcloud Posted 7 Oct 2005 , 1:41pm
post #2 of

Have you tried Americolor red? That gives a really vivid red color.

tinascakes Posted 7 Oct 2005 , 1:46pm
post #3 of

I make pink first (with pink), then add red. That works pretty good and as it sits it becomes more red. That's what I did to make my Elmo cake.

Wandootie Posted 7 Oct 2005 , 1:49pm
post #4 of

Good idea! Where do you find Americolor?

Weezer

Gingoodies Posted 7 Oct 2005 , 1:53pm
post #5 of

I too have become an Americolor convert, especially for the darker colors. I could not believe how much easier it is to get that deep hue I was looking for. I even convinced my local supplier to carry Americolor gels now!

MrsMissey Posted 7 Oct 2005 , 1:55pm
post #6 of

Here is a link:

http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/coloring/coloring.htm#americolor

Fishercakes Posted 7 Oct 2005 , 1:56pm
post #7 of

I have ended up using about 1/2 to 3/4 a jar of Wilton No-Taste Red in order to get a true red. Be sure to let your frosting rest for about an hour after mixing for it to come to its true hue. I haven't really had that much of a problem with getting the red or the black. It just takes a lot of coloring and you have to let it sit and rest at room temp for at least an hour. Plus as you are piping your decorations, I have found that the color darkens/brightens from the heat of your hand in the bag.

My frosting in the bag is also a little different of a shade when I go to refill the bag. icon_confused.gif

Hope this helps!!

Kristina

MariaLovesCakes Posted 7 Oct 2005 , 1:57pm
post #8 of

Someone may have already said, but also remember that red, after you have colored the icing, if you let sit for while, it gets darker....

VickiC Posted 7 Oct 2005 , 2:02pm
post #9 of

The Baker's Preferred Super Red is supposed to be the best for making red without that awful taste. It takes the least amount of color to achieve red.

cheekysweets Posted 7 Oct 2005 , 6:30pm

I also use the no taste red. I make the icing the day before and let it come to room temp before using. Fishercakes, mine is a pinkish color icon_rolleyes.gif ,too, it darkens as it dries. My elmo cake came out nicely.

icingqueen Posted 8 Oct 2005 , 5:09pm

I use wilton's no-taste red also. If you use the burgundy & tint your icing a med pink & then add the red, it doesn't take much more than 4-5 dips of a toothpick to get in a deep vibrant red color - I also let mine sit overnight & it turns a perfect red color!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%