How Much To Charge???

Decorating By jstump Updated 1 Feb 2007 , 12:05am by jstump

jstump Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jstump Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 12:10am
post #1 of 13

I need some help!!! I'm new at this and I made this cake to practice doing FBCT's. Well I gave it to a guy I work with for his child & now people are asking if I can make them one too!!! I'm excited but I'm not sure what to charge??? Or if I should even charge at all. Like I said I'm new, this is only the third cake I've done and I've just done the others for family members so I did not charge them anything. Everyone on here is so helpful so I figured I could get some really good advice here!
LL
LL

12 replies
IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 12:12am
post #2 of 13

Figure out your expenses. Mulitply that by 3.

Then figure out how much time it takes to do a cake. What is your time worth?

alicegop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicegop Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 12:15am
post #3 of 13

No less than $45

I'm probably too low. Good job!

jstump Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 1:04am
post #4 of 13

Thanks for the help! This site is the best thumbs_up.gif Everyone is so helpful! icon_smile.gif

billiesbakerydelight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
billiesbakerydelight Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 10:28am
post #5 of 13

take your cost,X's 2, then your labor cost, normally 10$ a hr. I would charge no less than 50 for this, simply cause of your supplies and time, take into consideration that you used your icing colors, and your tips, 'disposable' bags, water cost to wash tools in, eletricity, etc... those other bakers charge for all of that too. you deserve it. If they think thats too hi, just say that it cost $30 to do by supplies, then if they want to give you a donation for your time, then thats fine, but no lower than $30, cause you have to pay your own bills!

SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 11:56am
post #6 of 13

Nice Work! Good Luck!

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 12:08pm
post #7 of 13

Your cake is great! My grandchildren would go crazy! I agree with billiesbakerydelight definitely no less than $30.00. IF no one offers you more at least you have recouped your supplies.

Beth in KY

amycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amycake Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 12:13pm
post #8 of 13

Great Job. I would Charge $35-40 depending on the size. I love the Frozen transfer you did. I attempeted my first one last night and It came out great except when I took it off paper I cracked the legs off the figure. So I have to try again. Any advise would be great on doing the FBCT.
Amy

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 12:28pm
post #9 of 13

I really can't help with the pricing. People love our cakes, and want them, but they don't want to pay what they are worth. I can't seem to get any orders, because I refuse to sell cakes for Grocery store prices. Oh, well, .
I just wanted to tell you that your cake is just the cutest thing ever! You really did a great job! I am anxious to see what you do in the future. You really have a talent for decorating.

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 10:12pm
post #10 of 13

I would charge $40 for that cake.

Cute cake, good job!

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 10:19pm
post #11 of 13

I can't tell what size your cake is but I would charge $1.75 per serving so if it's an 8" it would be $35.
Jacqui

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 11:16pm
post #12 of 13

I would say no lesss than 35 but to make anythign it would be more like 40 to 50. Around here getting someone to relise the time and effort and pay for it is another story all together! icon_rolleyes.gif
Great job though, very nice for first try! Deff you are gifted girl. thumbs_up.gif

jstump Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 12:05am
post #13 of 13

Thank you for all the responses! I have a better idea now of what to do. All of this is new to me & it helps to know you can ask questions and get so much help with anything that you are not sure about. CC is the best site! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%