Cake Question

Decorating By msty112 Updated 7 Oct 2005 , 1:45am by freddie

msty112 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msty112 Posted 6 Oct 2005 , 8:31pm
post #1 of 5

I wanted to try and make this cake for my brother but i have no idea what the beak is made of.

http://www.cindascreativecakes.com/Photos/jpgs/cakes/fullsize/vthokie.jpg

Any ideas??

4 replies
alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 6 Oct 2005 , 8:42pm
post #2 of 5

Looks like just layers of BC to me. Maybe you could make it out of fondant, though. Dunno. I also never knew what a Hokie was. Who knew it was a bird!!?!?!?!

missmersh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmersh Posted 6 Oct 2005 , 8:43pm
post #3 of 5

BC Icing.

No, really. She just used the stand-up bear pan and instead of making the bear's nose/snout...she just made it into a beak.

I know sometimes it is hard to figure out how something was done. I have that problem ALL the time!!!! What a cute cake!

tanyap Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyap Posted 6 Oct 2005 , 8:44pm
post #4 of 5

looks like royal icing maybe...stiff consistency so that you can get the shape and then let it harden.

freddie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddie Posted 7 Oct 2005 , 1:45am
post #5 of 5

I would add a cupcake trimmed or a triangular peice of cake then skewer it or use straws, then ice it. I did her wolf and added a cupcake for the snout. I personally don't like piling icing something always goes wrong for me and I always think of that person who gets a mouthful of inches of icing.

Another way to do it would be to make it out of Wilton Candy melts. Paint them over something that has the shape you want, be sure it is thick enough not to break, then remove when hardened gently and press into icing on cake where you want it to fit, then ice around it to hold in place.

Good luck, I love her cakes, she has more ideas for the 3-D Bear pan than anyone else I've seen.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%