How Much Would You Charge For This Cake???

Decorating By CakePhun Updated 3 Feb 2007 , 5:21am by okieinalaska

CakePhun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakePhun Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 10:02pm
post #1 of 29

A 4 tier all round (5, 8, 11,14 inch cakes) buttercream cake feeding 115 guests. The first and third cakes would be white with black scroll work, and the second and fourth would be plain white. Sort of like the cake at this link (I imagine)
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-photos_display_85_-74382.html

The top will be fresh flowers that they will put on top themselves. What would you charge to deliver and set up and all? Thanks ahead of time for you replies!!

S

28 replies
CakePhun Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 11:04pm
post #2 of 29

anyone??

Nancyf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nancyf Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 11:11pm
post #3 of 29

I have heard to charge $20.00 per cake mix used.

Good luck

thumbs_up.gif

lparnaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lparnaby Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 11:17pm
post #4 of 29

I would charge around $200.00 and wouldnt think taht was out of range.

Bear in mind, I am in AUstralia, and our cakes are a little differently priced, but still for 115 people that is less than $2 per serving.

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 11:18pm
post #5 of 29

I'm sorry, don't mean to be totally rude, but the idea of a cake mix being used for a wedding just seems COMPLETELY WRONG... I'm probably way out of line, but couldn't we isntead say, for each cake recipe (as most scratch recipes are for 2 8" rounds too?)

Mleissa[/i]

slb1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slb1956 Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 11:20pm
post #6 of 29

If it serves 115 I'd charge per slice.. so whatever you would charge per slice in your area.. Here I would charge $2.25/person for buttercream only.. Fondant or Rolled Buttercream $3.25/person

alicegop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicegop Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 11:30pm
post #7 of 29

I have a spreadsheet I created (You can email me at [email protected] if you want it) to help me with my pricing. I come up with $198.25 (I'd round to $200).

And I DO use cake mix, and EVERYTIME I always get compliments on how my cake is the best they have ever had and when I tell them it is box mix they can't believe it. I don't doctor it either. Frosting is from scratch though.

angelcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakesmom Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 11:39pm
post #8 of 29

I wouldn't call using the term "Cake Mix" wrong. If you look in any Wilton cake book about wedding cake data on serving size, they say " one Cake Mix yields 4-6 cups of batter". I don't think that by using the term necessarily means you are using a box mix either, IMO. icon_smile.gif

I also use a box mix and have always been complimented by how moist & wonderful my cakes are. They can't believe that its from a box that isn't doctored in any way. My friend always says "It must be your mixer!" Which I'm not sure if thats a compliment or an insult, but she loves my cakes also! thumbs_up.gificon_confused.gif

ladybuglau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybuglau Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 1:45am
post #9 of 29

Just had to say... I'm new to cake decorating, but I've been baking forever. I always prided myself on baking from scratch, that is until I real a post about how to doctor up a cake mix. I decided to try a pillsbury pudding in the mix yellow cake, used whole milk instead of the water and used melted butter instead of the oil. Well, this cake tasted GREAT! and it stayed fresher tasting much longer than one of my scratch cakes would've. I think a scratch cake tastes great the day you make it, but seems to get dry so much more quickly than a mix cake. And besides, if you use self rising cake flour, the only major difference from a cake mix is that you have to add your own vanilla and sugar icon_smile.gif

CakePhun Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 7:16pm
post #10 of 29

OK great!
Thanks for all your posts. This really helps... Hey by the way,
slb1956 what part of Tn are you in?
Cheers!
SW

dogwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogwood Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 8:36pm
post #11 of 29

Hi CakePhun,

I was also wondering what part of TN slb1956 was in. I am from Millington, TN what part are you from? Where are you slb1956?

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 8:41pm
post #12 of 29

" I'm probably way out of line, "

Pretty much, since it was an insult to anyone that uses a mix.....

nicoles-a-tryin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicoles-a-tryin Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 8:50pm
post #13 of 29

I would say $250. That is alot of layers!!
I love that idea of the $20 a cake mix....great idea!!
I used cake mixes and even my hubby can't tell the difference. I just doctor them up a bit. And make all the icing from scratch.
Good luck, and can't wait to see it in the posting!!!

ch0psuey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ch0psuey Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 9:03pm
post #14 of 29

"don't mean to be totally rude"

then maybe you shouldn't have used all caps... or insulted many of the bakers here...

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 9:06pm
post #15 of 29

I'm not insulted when comments come up about using mixes. I've baked from scratch some but prefer cake mixes. I've done wedding cakes and lots of special occassion cakes and never had anything short of high praise for their great taste and moistness. It's all in what you prefer. I wish people would get that thru their heads. I've never once had a potential customer ask whether I bake from scratch or use a boxed cake mix. I also love the cake extenders I've learned of thru cc. Especially the sour cream almond with whipped rasperry white choc filling. Although I don't think that's exactly what it's called, it's delicious. I'm getting ready to start one this afternoon.

nicoles-a-tryin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicoles-a-tryin Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 9:13pm
post #16 of 29

OH CarolAnn,

That sounds so YummY!!! I haven't heard of that mixture..I will have to look that up.
Love learning from everyone!! Thanks

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 9:20pm
post #17 of 29

I agree Carol Ann - Maybe its a Scorpio thing icon_smile.gif
Maybe everyone should just do what they feel most comfortable with and not put others down for what makes them comfortable.

CarolAnn Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 12:50am
post #18 of 29

nicoles-a-tryin,
The cake and icing I was referring to are both in the Recipes tab under White Almond Sour Cream Cake and Raspberry White Chocolate Mousse. They are wonderful! I didn't make that today because I got sidetracked making my first ganache for a cake I found in a book fromthe library. It's called a tree cake. I'll post about it if it comes out good.

fmcmulle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmcmulle Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 12:59am
post #19 of 29

Cakephun,
In my area that cake would easy go $450 or more. I would love the chance to make that cake. Make sure to share the pictures.
Kepp up the good work!

soccermom17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soccermom17 Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 1:08am
post #20 of 29

I think I would charge at leat $2 a serving which would equal $230, at least. Then you could also add in your set up/delivery fee.

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 1:23am
post #21 of 29

Hi Ladies and Gents,

Please keep this thread on the positive side...it is about pricing not mix verses scratch icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks thumbs_up.gif

slb1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slb1956 Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 3:52am
post #22 of 29

i'm in nothern middle TN. Where are others located in TN?

southrnhearts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southrnhearts Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 4:04am
post #23 of 29

I am in Southern Alabama... and for that cake and those sizes I would charge 245.00....per the prices I have worked out myself for tiered cakes...best of luck with your baking, It is a elegant cake and I'm sure you will do well with it! pssst go Duncan Hines cake doctor'ers icon_wink.gif

CarolAnn Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 4:24am
post #24 of 29

southrnhearts, you're bad!! LOL I use DH too....shhhhhh

southrnhearts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southrnhearts Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 6:45am
post #25 of 29

LOL yep I must confess, bad girl here!

CakePhun Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 8:44pm
post #26 of 29

Oh man... I must say there were times I wished I hadn't asked.... this post has gone all over the place. Thanks you all so much for your input. I decided to Charge $125...... just kidding.... hehehheh... Actually I went with $225. I tried the White almond cake for something (can't remember what) and it was amazing! I must confess I like both scratch for certain things and doctoring for others. They both serve their purpose... TO EAT!!! Oh ya and finally I live in Nashvegas baby!! Love it here.

Thanks again all you wonderful bakers.

SW

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 10:57pm
post #27 of 29

I believe 'per cake mix' is used merely as a measurement - like saying something is 'the size of 2 football fields'. That is the way everyone I know uses it, anyway. Most people are aware of how much cake a cake mix makes, even if they don't use them; as I know how big a football field is even though I can't stand the game. icon_lol.gif

darnold693 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darnold693 Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 1:58am
post #28 of 29

I would have charged $2. per serving and a $50. delivery and set up. Pillsbury cake mix with a stick of parkay per box instead of oil always makes the BEST cake. If I use something else my customers KNOW.
I do however have a special frosting I have created to work in the hot humid climate of the Florida Keys. The moist cake and perfect frosting makes the filling with any other item UNneccesary.

okieinalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okieinalaska Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 5:21am
post #29 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyf

I have heard to charge $20.00 per cake mix used.

Good luck

thumbs_up.gif

Hi Nancy, I wanted to say welcome to you. : )

I have never heard that one but I really think that is not the way to go. For one thing it doesn't take into account if it's an easy design, compex, fondant, 3d etc.

Pricing is soo difficult and depends on your area though. It's hard to compare. : )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%