Help Help Help!

Decorating By osci03 Updated 6 Oct 2005 , 1:20am by sdfgarcia

osci03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
osci03 Posted 5 Oct 2005 , 8:41pm
post #1 of 9

I've 2 of the 4 sheet cakes made for my daughters wedding Saturday but both of them stuck to the pan and I'm going to have to do major repairs. I'm using the wilton 12x18 pan and greasing with crisco and flouring then. Should I add some parchment paper somewhere or use more crisco/flour? If I use the parchment do I grease/flour it too? Thanks so much. I'll survive the wedding but I don't know about these cakes.

8 replies
kraftychristy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kraftychristy Posted 5 Oct 2005 , 8:46pm
post #2 of 9

Im kind of a newbie here, but I hope this helps. All the recipes I've ever read says to grease the pan, line the bottom with parchment paper and then grease and flour it. Me personally, I only use Bakers Joy, and I havent had one stick yet. I spray it liberally on the pan especially if it's a character or novelty pan with a lot of crevices. I hope this helps and good luck!! icon_smile.gif

Christy

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 5 Oct 2005 , 8:47pm
post #3 of 9

line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper and spray the sides of the pan with cooking spray. The cake, when cooled, will come out easier and you can just peel that paper off the bottom of the cake.

Debbi

missnnaction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missnnaction Posted 5 Oct 2005 , 8:47pm
post #4 of 9

I always use the wilton quick release..and I never have any problems...but, if you decide to use parchment, you still need to grease the pan....

Nitu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nitu Posted 5 Oct 2005 , 8:54pm
post #5 of 9

Congratulations and all the best for your daughters wedding.

I always use Crisco spray first and then flouring the pan.
But recently I used parchment paper and then spray Crisco.
It worked very well.
That was lot easier for me.

I know you are going to make a nice wedding cake.
Dont forget to send us pictures.

Thanks
Nitu

luv2cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cake Posted 5 Oct 2005 , 8:56pm
post #6 of 9

A popular souliton is to make your own cake release. It works perfectly!

Recipe: Equal parts of Crisco, flour, and cooking oil. Mix together and use pastry brush to apply to pan.

Example: 1 c flour, 1 c Crisco, 1 c cooking oil

Then you can cover tightly and store for later use.

irisinbloom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irisinbloom Posted 5 Oct 2005 , 9:12pm
post #7 of 9

I agree with luv2cake on making your own cake release, I recently tried it and feel in love and a lot cheaper and don't have any trouble with sticking. Good luck and Congrats to your daughter, you'll do just fineicon_smile.gif

osci03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
osci03 Posted 5 Oct 2005 , 11:07pm
post #8 of 9

Y'all are great! I went with the parchment and spraying the sides. Cake #3 came out beautifully and #4 is in the oven. I like the idea of the make your own too and am going to try that later.
Thank you again for the fast help! I'll survive after all and I will post a picture. I'm not making the wedding cake just the extra sheets. We have 300 people coming and a wedding cake that size was just way too much. I did try to make mini calla lilies for the sheets but they look more like peace lilies but my daughter loves it and that's all I care about.
Thanks!

sdfgarcia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sdfgarcia Posted 6 Oct 2005 , 1:20am
post #9 of 9

I'm with the others. I was a Bakers Joy girl, but I was going broke buying those stupid cans. I haven't had a single cake stick since I started using the homemade cake relase, so I can't recommend it highly enough. It's cheap, it's easy to make and store, and you can make as much or as little as you need.

Good luck - you're going to do a great job on the cakes, and I know you guys will love them! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%