Do You Flavor Your Ri??

Baking By Melvira Updated 4 Feb 2007 , 5:45pm by kneadacookie

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 5:03pm
post #1 of 11

I see so many gorgeous cookies covered in royal icing, and I know it makes them easy to transport, but it tastes so bad... do you add flavoring to yours to make it taste good? I mean, otherwise it's essentially just powdered sugar and water... there's no flavor just sweetness. Since I was a kid I always hated those big hard sugar cookies at the bakery with the crunchy icing on them because they didn't taste good. But now, as a decorator, I can see how many amazing things I could do with it. I always use BC because it tastes good, and it looks pretty, but they are hard to transport. You CANNOT stack them!! HELP!!

10 replies
Lindsayu83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lindsayu83 Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 5:10pm
post #2 of 11

I flavor mine with vanilla and almond, but you could use anything. People on here have suggested adding lemon juice to brighten the flavor of the meringue, but I haven't done that. Play around with different flavors, and add some corn syrup to keep the icing from shattering when you bite into it.

Melvira Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 6:44pm
post #3 of 11

Ok, I figured people were adding flavor to make it more palatable! I mean, so many are using the RI, I didn't figure they'd leave it as the yucky tasting stuff! icon_wink.gif Thanks for your input!

Erlyns_Treats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erlyns_Treats Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 6:51pm
post #4 of 11

I just tried adding lemon juice to a batch i just made and it took out the icky flavor of the meringue... also those little flavor bottles at the cake shops work good to i tried the stra,ras, and mm flavor and they worked really well with the ri.

Melvira Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 6:56pm
post #5 of 11

I have like a billion little bottles of Lorann oil, so I figured I'd use that to make different flavors. I will also try the corn syrup trick! That sounds like a good idea!

treatsonthego Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
treatsonthego Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 7:33pm
post #6 of 11

I add a little lemon extract or orange extract(1/2-1 tsp) to the cookie dough and 1/2 tsp of either to the RI. I have more compliments and repeat orders when I do that. It takes out the RI flavor and enhances the flavor of the dough within the cookie.

Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 8:01pm
post #7 of 11

I would be careful with the loran oil as it is oil and will break down the royal icing. Extracts or lemon juice work best.

Judi

tayesmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tayesmama Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 8:15pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juds2323

I would be careful with the loran oil as it is oil and will break down the royal icing. Extracts or lemon juice work best.

Judi

I agree. The extracts and flavorings work best. I've used pineapple, amaretto, chocolate, creme bouquet, etc. I usually try to choose a flavor that compliments the cookie. thumbs_up.gif

Claudine1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claudine1976 Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 2:56am
post #9 of 11

I allways used vanilla/almond but for the last weeks I been using buble gum flavor, and the kids (and no so kids) love them...

mommabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommabear Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 3:09am
post #10 of 11

I'm a big fan of almond extract so I tend to stick with using that in my RI, but orange sounds pretty yummy. I just might have to give that a try.

kneadacookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneadacookie Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 5:45pm
post #11 of 11

i heard you can put corn syrup in to make it more flexible. anyone know how much? and does the flavor also do anything about the chalky feel

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%