Order For Cool Whip Icing?

Decorating By aprilmanning Updated 15 Sep 2013 , 8:30pm by embersmom

aprilmanning Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 4:29pm
post #1 of 19

I took an order this afternoon for a woman who requested 'cool-whip like icing'. She's never ordered a cake from anywhere except Wal-Mart, Kroger, etc. so I assume she's talking about the same whipped stuff you can get there. I told her that I wasn't sure if I could do that or not. What I need to know is how would I make this stuff (I can't seem to find a recipe that seems right for it)? And, can you decorate with it? If not, what would you decorate with? (pretty basic decorations - writing, stars, etc...) Any advice appreciated! TIA!

18 replies
ShirleyW Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 5:03pm
post #2 of 19

I would look for a frozen product called Pastry Pride, it comes in quart and half gallon milk cartons. Thaw and beat with a wire whisk attachment in the KitchenAid. If you don't have Pastry Pride in your area there is another product called Rich's Bettercreme, I have never tried it because it isn't available here but have heard it is similar to Pastry Pride.

You can decorate with Pastry Pride, I have iced cakes and made borders, but not flowers with it. I don't think gumpaste flowers would hold up well on it but haven't tried it so am not sure. Probably buttercream flowers would work but am not sure if the color would bleed onto the Pastry Pride if you use dark or bright colors. Here is a cake Iced in it with just a decorating design done with a serrated blade knife. The icing won't break down like Cool Whip, but it needs to stay refrigerated until serving time.

Pearl70 Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 6:58pm
post #3 of 19

Is Pastry Pride same as Heavy Whipping Cream?

ChrisJ Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 7:40pm
post #4 of 19

I have used Heavy Whipping Cream with a small box of instant pudding. In my area, it is more expensive that Pastry Pride and makes less.

lillykaci1 Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 7:44pm
post #5 of 19

You might try going to walmart or where ever and asking them if they will sell you the same stuff they use. Where I am from they will see you the mix they use. so you may go ask them.

tyty Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 8:01pm
post #6 of 19

I have used Rich's Bettercream before, but the last cake I did I made stablized whipped cream from the Wilton website. I was able to pipe it also. It can also be flavored. I have the cake in my photos, it is whipped cream and strawberries.

mendhigurl Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 9:07pm
post #7 of 19

Pearl70...pastry pride and heavy whipping cream are different products. You can make whipped topping with heavy whipping cream, but you need to add in a stabalizer and sugar, PastryPride has already done all that for you, so all you do is whip and use.

aprilmanning Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 9:21pm
post #8 of 19

Thanks for the great responses but here's another question for you..... where would I find the Pasty Pride / Rich's products? LOL

tyty Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 9:27pm
post #9 of 19

You can do a search and see if it is available in your area. I have to drive about 20 miles to get it. You can order Bettercream from www.sugarcraft.com but it is expensive. Your best bet would be to try to find a supplier.

ShirleyW Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 9:32pm
post #10 of 19

Again, I don't understand this. It is distributed in Illinois yet it isn"t readily available there. But I can go to two different stores 5 minutes away and buy it here in California.

tyty Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 9:34pm
post #11 of 19

In Illinois it is not available in stores (bettercream) it is only available through a few cake supply stores.

aprilmanning Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 9:39pm
post #12 of 19

well.... shucks. I was hoping I could go to Wal-Mart and snag it out of the freezer section.... you know... next to the cool-whip. darn..... LOL icon_smile.gif

curiegas Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 7:32am
post #13 of 19

I think Sam's sells the Bettercream not sure about the Pastry pride.


jscakes Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 7:45am
post #14 of 19

In my area there is a rather large grocer that sells the Rich's Bettercreme in their bakery dept. I can get it by the gallon, a bit more cost than the Pastry Pride I get by the quart at an out of the way place I call "podunk" in their freezer isle where they sell cakes already decorated, this Pastry Pride, and whipped topping.

Possibly some checking out different stores in your area, and some stores you would never think to look in, that could possibly carry one or the other of these products.

I do have to say that I prefer the Pastry Pride, it just seems much easier to work with and not so tempermental...could be just me too! LOL!
Good luck!

JanH Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 7:55am
post #15 of 19

Rich's Bettercreme is also available at GFS (Gordon Food Service) if you have one in your area.

jscakes Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 8:03am
post #16 of 19

Another thought would be to use the Wilton Whipped icing they sell at most places where they sell the cake decorating products like Michaels, Village Crafts, etc.
It runs around $4 a box in this area.

GraciesMommy214 Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 8:18am
post #17 of 19

I have used bettercreme and it is really easy to work with... But it melts really fast!

hislilbaker89 Posted 15 Sep 2013 , 4:59pm
post #18 of 19

ADo u know how long the expiration date is or if I can keep leftovers in the freezer.

Original message sent by JanH

Rich's Bettercreme is also available at GFS (Gordon Food Service) if you have one in your area.

embersmom Posted 15 Sep 2013 , 8:28pm
post #19 of 19

As well as Restaurant Depot (at least in my area).


You might be able to buy a pound or two of Bettercreme at your local supermarket.  Just go to the in-store bakery and ask. A couple of the chains around my way do just that, but they don't advertise it.  They sell regular "traditional" buttercream too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%