Tips For Icing A Cake From A Petal Pan?

Decorating By melodyangel1978 Updated 10 Oct 2005 , 9:41pm by MrsMissey

melodyangel1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyangel1978 Posted 5 Oct 2005 , 2:16am
post #1 of 8

I used my petal pan for the first time the other day, and had a heck of a time icing it. I finally just covered it with star decorations around the sides because it looked bad. Baby shower cake in my pics. Any tips or ideas for getting good results icing this shape cake?
Thanks,
Alison thumbs_up.gif

7 replies
Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 5 Oct 2005 , 3:52am
post #2 of 8

I have used my petal pan a few times both smooth frosting and stars. I think the stars look better. Just posted one in my photos.

gilpnh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilpnh Posted 5 Oct 2005 , 4:05am
post #3 of 8

I did a full fledged stacked petal once, ONCE. The larger tiers are easier, fortunately the design (in my photos) called for a line of frosting in the creases. I found my small frosting spatula worked best to smooth. The 6 inch was an absolute bear to do, as I have heard others say also and wouldnt waste my time on it if you dont have to.

melodyangel1978 Posted 5 Oct 2005 , 9:40pm
post #4 of 8

would doing the upside down icing method work better? Anyone else have any tips or ideas?

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 7 Oct 2005 , 3:03am
post #5 of 8

I have not iced a petal pan cake.

BUT while I was researching different brands of cake tips/nozzles/tubes/pipes, I came across a statement that the Wilton Cake Icer Tip with the 2" opening was ideal for petal-pan cakes.
"Try using this tip to ice the petal or hexagon cakes! A 14 or 16 inch bag is recommended. NOTE: This tip does not fit with any coupler. Just drop it into the bag. "

I'll leave it up to you...

melodyangel1978 Posted 7 Oct 2005 , 8:18pm
post #6 of 8

ok, thanks. I will give that a try. I always forget about my cake icer tip!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 10 Oct 2005 , 4:15pm
post #7 of 8

The cake icer tip is the ONLY way I ice petal-shaped cakes. There is absolutely no guesswork involved in trying to get the icing layer uniform and having the clefts in between the petals even and correct. icon_smile.gif

~ Sherri

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 10 Oct 2005 , 9:41pm
post #8 of 8

I use the icer tip (always!) and a crusting buttercream icing. Once crusted, I use a piece of parchment paper up against the sides and smooth it with my hands!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%