My Icing Changed Colors..... Help!!!

Decorating By Thais Updated 5 Oct 2005 , 11:46am by stephanie214

Thais Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thais Posted 4 Oct 2005 , 3:41pm
post #1 of 10

Hi!!!
I just made elmo's face and my red changed a lot. It still looked great but that was not the red I wanted. The problem was that I made plenty of red and in my decorating bag I could only put so much, so I covered the rest and put it back in the fridge. When my bag was almost empty I refilled it with the icing I had in the fridge. The cake looked great, but the next day when I went to the party I noticed that the icing that I put at the end was darker that the one I used first even though they were make together. Does this have anything to do with it being in the fridge for that short period.....I thought that you could actually decorate a cake in stages (at least that's what my wilton instructor told us)..... do you have any advice?

9 replies
Nana2three Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nana2three Posted 4 Oct 2005 , 3:56pm
post #2 of 10

I've always found that the more rich colors will darken after setting for a while. Whenever I need red, green, black or dark blue I make the icing and let it sit for a day before actually using it.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 4 Oct 2005 , 3:58pm
post #3 of 10

Hmmmm...I find it strange that they are both from the same batch and the color was that noticeable.I refridgerate all my colors and then take them out and give them a stir but even if the icing in the bag was from the same batch it should still have darkened at the same rate and color.I'm sure once the whole cake is done and let to sit or refridgerate the colors will look the same!

aunt-judy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aunt-judy Posted 4 Oct 2005 , 8:26pm
post #4 of 10

interesting...i've actually had this happen with plain ol' chocolate buttercream, where i had to smear on some soft icing onto the crusted icing surface to make some chocolate letters stick on the side, and the smears were very visibly darker than the cake. i'm not sure what caused this, but the cake was refrigerated before the extra icing (which was room temperature) was used.

icon_confused.gif mysterious...

smashcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smashcakes Posted 4 Oct 2005 , 10:09pm
post #5 of 10

unfortunately, i dont have an answer. the same thing happened to me when i made a scooby doo cake, so it was a real dark brown and you could see he ended up about 3 different shades and it was all the same batch, if any one has a reason why, that would be great. i had to use a ton of brown to get it scooby's color, i wonder if using lots of color has something to do with it? icon_confused.gif

freddie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddie Posted 4 Oct 2005 , 11:11pm
post #6 of 10

Hi Thais,
I'm glad you brought this up, I had the same thing happen to my Basinet cake I made, The lighter square in the middle of the blanket was a bag refill from the same bowl of icing, the bowl was on the counter covered and yet the color of the last square I did with the new bag was lighter in color and stayed that way. Lucky for me it was a even square I had left so it looks like it was meant to be that way. Curios to know the reason for this as mine was not in fridge and it went lighter not darker.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 5 Oct 2005 , 2:00am
post #7 of 10

I've noticed if I am doing something with alot of the same icing, that the icing in the end of the bag is a bit of a different color. I think it has something to do with the warmth of your hands, where it might be melting or softening it.

lastingmoments Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lastingmoments Posted 5 Oct 2005 , 4:00am
post #8 of 10

wow ...i have to keep an eye out for this... I learned from here a while back to let the iccing color sit and it will get darker with time.....and found that this is true.....now I have another thing to look out for

vitade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vitade Posted 5 Oct 2005 , 10:09am
post #9 of 10

Maybe it is the warmth of your hand as the icing starts to "melt" or "seperate" in the bag. I wonder if the bowl your storing in is the same you mixed it in. If it is and you didn't really scrap the bowl and mixed really really good originally, then when your refilling your bag, you may be picking up "white" frosting that wasn't really mixed in and therfore, lightening your color. Does that make sense?

Rose

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 5 Oct 2005 , 11:46am
post #10 of 10

The same happened on my Winnie the Pooh 3D.

The gold in the back would not blend in with the other gold after filling bag...thank goodness it was only a little spot.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%