2 Tier Fondant Cake Timeline

Baking By SarahGill Updated 28 Jul 2017 , 9:59pm by theresaf

SarahGill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahGill Posted 28 Jul 2017 , 1:56am
post #1 of 9

Hi guys 

So I'm new to this and previously I've baked cakes for family but nothing major. Next sat (5th aug) I'm making my daughter's first birthday cake. It's going to be 2 tiers and covered in fondant with a simple crown cake topper. 

What I need help on is my timeline. Currently I'm thinking:

Wednesday: bake the cake on and wrap and chill in the freezer (and make the fondant crown)

Thursday: level and ice the cake with buttercream and chill overnight in the fridge  

Friday evening: cover the cakes in fondant and leave in the fridge overnight

Saturday early morning: assemble the cake and finish decoration (placing a name plaque on the cake and the crown). 

the only other things are that, I have two young kids and can only work at night, plus Saturday, my kitchen will be used for cooking other food too so how should I store my cake? 

please help! I really want it to be a success! 

thanks guys x

8 replies
me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 28 Jul 2017 , 7:02am
post #2 of 9

Your timeline sounds good to me. You're leaving yourself a nice amount of time for each task.

Once you've got your cake covered in fondant and assembled you can store it anywhere that is safe from little hands and in a nice cool air conditioned spot.

If I didn't have a dedicated cake fridge, I would probably cover in fondant and assemble on Fri evening and pop the whole thing in a big box in the a/c. 

Good luck with it! Looking forward to seeing pics!

SarahGill Posted 28 Jul 2017 , 11:08am
post #3 of 9

Aww thanks so much for replying  

I don't have air conditioning and the house will get pretty warm on Saturday as we'll be cooking other food. The fondant has buttercream underneath so I'm worried about that melting as well.

i'm thinking of moving the cake to my parents house to keep in their fridge once it's assembled. It won't be cut till about 5pm. 

I'm just not sure about what to do with it after assembling because I don't have another fridge  

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 28 Jul 2017 , 12:34pm
post #4 of 9

Ah, fair enough. I'd go with your parent's fridge then. Sounds safest! x

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 28 Jul 2017 , 2:53pm
post #5 of 9

If you've never made a 2 tier cake before and you are planning to store at your parents' home you are taking a risk that it could be damaged in all that transport.  Can you stack it the day of the party?  That way you can store it separately whether it's at your home or someone else's!  I find transporting a cake to be as nerve wracking as any other step in the whole process!

Have fun!

Theresa

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Jul 2017 , 9:09pm
post #6 of 9

......... The fondant has buttercream underneath so I'm worried about that melting as well............

No need to be concerned.  Once the cake is covered w/fondant the b'cream won't melt.   I have done almost all of my work in a very hot but not humid area and have never had the b'cream melt.  Once the cake is completed, it can rest as the other poster said, in a cool, AC'd room.....you parents place sounds good:)  There probably would be little - if any - problem w/transporting a 2 tier unless it is more than 1/2 hr away - and even then probably no problem.  Don;t know what sizes your tiers are but even an inexperienced person can transport a cake w/just some forthought.  Make sure it sits on a  hard, level surface - the trunk of a car.  Make sure it sits on a board at least 4" larger than the bottom cake....drive very alert.....no sudden stops, taking turns on 2 wheels etc, etc LOL

theresaf Posted 28 Jul 2017 , 9:17pm
post #7 of 9

LOL Kakeladi is right - I was just looking to reduce stress on the day!

Taking turns on 2 wheels - hmmm maybe I need to adjust my driving!

Theresa

SarahGill Posted 28 Jul 2017 , 9:43pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks guys, my parents live about 10mins away and I'm planning to leave early morning on Saturday so hopefully the roads will be quieter  

I will assemble the cake at their house  and then take it to the party from there (the hall is like 5mins away from them)! 

I just really hope I can get it looking neat and professional! 

wish me luck!

theresaf Posted 28 Jul 2017 , 9:59pm
post #9 of 9

Sounds like a great plan !

Enjoy the day!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%