Cake Topper Question

Decorating By Kim1182 Updated 27 Jul 2017 , 11:46pm by SandraSmiley

Kim1182 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim1182 Posted 27 Jul 2017 , 9:54pm
post #1 of 2

I'm doing a 50th Anniversary cake and the client purchased an engraved plexi glass topper.  You can't really read the engraving and something needs to be placed behind it, probably in black.  I've spoken with frame shops and they recommend things like foam core, card stock, etc.  I'm afraid the fat from the icing will bleed through these materials and leave a greasy stain.  Also, I'm hesitant to "glue" anything to the plexi glass as the client plans to keep the topper as a keepsake and will want to remove any backing I put on it.  

I'm wondering if fondant or candy clay might work and if it would be easy to get off and clean.  Anyone have experience with anything like this and if so, what was you solution?

Thanks

1 reply
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 27 Jul 2017 , 11:46pm
post #2 of 2

I use cake dummies all the time and remove the fondant when I want to use them again.  To remove it from the styrofoam dummies, I put them in the microwave for about 5 seconds (no more or the styrofoam will melt) to soften the fondant and it comes right off.  With plexiglass, I would adhere the fondant or gum paste with an edible glue, then put the whole thing in a sink of warm, soapy water when you are ready to remove it.  It will soak off and be super easy to remove.  Plexiglass would not be at all bothered by soapy water.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%