Cricut Help...

Decorating By chocaholikk Updated 31 Jul 2017 , 8:27pm by chocaholikk

chocaholikk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocaholikk Posted 27 Jul 2017 , 8:35pm
post #1 of 15

Hi,

I am thinking of buying the Cricut for my cake projects but i have no idea which to purchase.

I am wanting to make my own stencils, glitter card cake toppers, and cut out fondant decorations etc.

does anybody have one? which one is best for me to buy? are they hard to use? 

Thanks in advance...

14 replies
jselle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jselle Posted 27 Jul 2017 , 11:33pm
post #2 of 15

I have three Cricuts -- the old original Cricut Cake which I use for fondant and gum paste, a cricut Explore Air for paper and crafts, and an additional cricut Explore Air for edibles such as sugar sheets and wafer paper. You design on a computer and then print/cut as if you are using a printer. There's a learning curve, but it's doesn't take long to get the hang of it. I know others have had good experiences with a Silhouette too, so it might be worth comparing them. 

chocaholikk Posted 27 Jul 2017 , 11:35pm
post #3 of 15

Ooh! Thank u xx

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 27 Jul 2017 , 11:37pm
post #4 of 15

I have the Cricut Cake that I use for fondant and gum paste, too.  I have heard a lot of discussions about problems, but I have always had pretty good luck.  All I ever use it for is writing.

chocaholikk Posted 27 Jul 2017 , 11:39pm
post #5 of 15

The only reason why I am wanting the explore is because I beleive you can cut out custom images too...rather than just the ones provided. It's expensive tho

SandraSmiley Posted 27 Jul 2017 , 11:42pm
post #6 of 15

I bought mine from a neighbor who had good intentions, but never used it.  Got a great deal or I would never have purchased it.  I cut out all decorations and even some of my names with an Xacto knife.

chocaholikk Posted 27 Jul 2017 , 11:45pm
post #7 of 15

Sandrasmiley...

I find during out little names really tedious and too time consuming...

Cupcake toppers are the worst thing ever lol

SandraSmiley Posted 27 Jul 2017 , 11:48pm
post #8 of 15

It is very time consuming, but I am a retired, hobby baker, so I do have the luxury of time. 

chocaholikk Posted 27 Jul 2017 , 11:49pm
post #9 of 15

tua17752 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tua17752 Posted 31 Jul 2017 , 1:57pm
post #10 of 15

i have the cricut air 2 and love it---besides being great for cake you can do sooo much with it.  You can upload your own images into the software too.  Related to cake, I mostly use mine to make paper cake toppers or to cut out images that I use as templates so I dont need to cut them by hand.  If you plan to use the cricut for more than just cake, I'd recommend maybe purchasing a bundle on HSN because you will get more bang for your buck :)

chocaholikk Posted 31 Jul 2017 , 2:04pm
post #11 of 15

Ooh what's HSN? I basically want to be able to print and cut cake toppers edible and if the Cricut Can, thrn perspex toppers for cakes.

tua17752 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tua17752 Posted 31 Jul 2017 , 4:39pm
post #12 of 15

Sorry HSN is the home shopping network. Not sure if they ship outside of the u.s. or not for anyone who doesn't live in the u.s...youd be able to cut edible images but the adhesive used on the mat you stick the paper to is not food safe so I'd be careful.

chocaholikk Posted 31 Jul 2017 , 4:40pm
post #13 of 15

Thank u hun xx

crnewbold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crnewbold Posted 31 Jul 2017 , 8:14pm
post #14 of 15

Any Cricut with Explore in it's name is a good investment.  You can cut sugar sheets, gumpaste, fondant, wafer paper, modeling chocolate, and SugarVeil.  You can also cut templates from card stock for hand cutting, and stencils.  The sugar-based mediums can be challenging and require much trial and error (and patience).  I love the flexibility of using any image and text you want and not being limited by expensive cartridges.

chocaholikk Posted 31 Jul 2017 , 8:27pm
post #15 of 15

Thank you so much! I believe there's a new model coming out tomorrow

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%