Buttercream Flowers - Not Crisp

Decorating By ASlingsby Updated 31 Jul 2017 , 2:01pm by Jenn123

ASlingsby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ASlingsby Posted 27 Jul 2017 , 3:53pm
post #1 of 5

Hello everyone!

My bc and royal icing flowers are passable but not fabulous. Actually that's true for anything I pipe. Rosettes, borders etc. I don't have ragged edges (dry) but nothing is especially crisp looking either. The shapes hold but not 100%. It's just all a bit meh instead of wow.

Could this be consistency or are my tips getting passed their prime? I use an all-butter bc that comes out quite firm but I can thin it to medium or thin easily.

I find it difficult that online recipes and tutorials rarely mention icing consistency. It's so important. 

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Jul 2017 , 7:06pm
post #2 of 5

Yes, consistency is very important.  What makes icing crust is haveing less fat to sugar.  Have you tried this recipe?   Use the 'fix' at the end.  http://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/22469/2-icing  As you can see it uses no liquid but uses the amount of 'fat' to change the consistences.   I don't know what you mean by your tips being past their prime.....I used tips that were more than 50 yrs

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 28 Jul 2017 , 2:57am
post #3 of 5

And the temperature of the room and your hands is also important, especially with the low melting point of butter.

ASlingsby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ASlingsby Posted 28 Jul 2017 , 3:10pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you! I will definitely try that recipe. 

My usually ice cold hands tend to suddenly become warm when I touch an icing bag but my kitchen is seldom warm. 

I wondered if my tips could be less sharp or slightly out of shape but I just used a brand new one with the same results. I think it's consistency. 

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 31 Jul 2017 , 2:01pm
post #5 of 5

I doubt it is your tips. I've been using the same ones for 40 years. They don't wear out unless you are abusing them in some way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%