Swiss Meringue Buttercream (Smb) In Advance?

Baking By Minileo Updated 28 Jul 2017 , 7:02am by bubs1stbirthday

Minileo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minileo Posted 27 Jul 2017 , 6:57am
post #1 of 5

Hello Ladies

I have whipped some SMB for my cupcakes and it tastes divine. Right now it's sitting in my fridge (Not frozen) for tomorrow use. My question is how to reconstitute it for the piping consistency. Should I just leave it at the counter top to come back at room temp. and thn whip it? If yes, what speed low, med, high?? Thanks in advance !!

4 replies
Paola__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paola__ Posted 27 Jul 2017 , 5:13pm
post #2 of 5

I usually leave mine on the counter to let it come back to room temp (whether refrigerated or frozen) and then whip it back up using my paddle attachment (flat beater?) on medium high or high. Sometimes it breaks a little (usually if it's still a little cold) but it'll come back together with enough beating. 

Cake-Monster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake-Monster Posted 28 Jul 2017 , 5:37am
post #3 of 5

Next time, if it's just for next day use, feel free to leave it at room temperature. It's safe for a few days. My cakes with smbc seem to last a good four or five days lately.

Like Paola said, just let it naturally come back to room temperature. Whatever you do, don't try to whip it or break it up if it's still chilled. 

Minileo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minileo Posted 28 Jul 2017 , 6:08am
post #4 of 5

Thank you so much Paola & Cake-Monster for your valuable advice. I will keep this in my mind for my next project. 

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 28 Jul 2017 , 7:02am
post #5 of 5

If it's for a customer I think the allowable time for it to be at room temp is only minimal, definitely not a few days, I do leave my cakes out overnight as they are only for us and they are always fine, after serving I put leftovers straight in the fridge though.

I keep mine that I premake in either the fridge or freezer (I defrost in the fridge). To bring to useable consistency I put it in a mixing bowl and microwave on very low power until the edges start to look a tiny bit soft (they will be ever so slightly warm) and then I beat it, the warm bits will melt in and help it come easily back to the right silkiness for using.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%