Cake Pan For/as Chocolate Mold?

Decorating By eileen50538 Updated 28 Jul 2017 , 9:43pm by SandraSmiley

eileen50538 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eileen50538 Posted 25 Jul 2017 , 4:57pm
post #1 of 9

I have been asked to make a chocolate skull to put on top of a cake. I have searched on line and found some silicone molds but they ship from China and I really prefer to not risk it. I found a Wilton skull cake pan that would be an ok size for the top of cake. However, I have never used a cake pan as chocolate mold. Is this possible? I know they have metal chocolate molds out there... just not sure if this would work the same. Any success stories? Tips? I will start practicing tonight. Just a little nervous. Thanks in advance for any input.

8 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Jul 2017 , 7:49pm
post #2 of 9

Yes you can use a cake pan to mold choco.  Lightly spray some baking oil spray 1st so it comes out.  Once the choco has set up, chill that pan for a short time - just until the pan is good & cold - and the choco should easily slip/fall out. 

eileen50538 Posted 25 Jul 2017 , 10:41pm
post #3 of 9

Thank you for this response. Does the spray need to dry before pouring the chocolate?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Jul 2017 , 1:28am
post #4 of 9

No, it actually shouldn't ever get dry.  Just don't spray heavy, just a light cfoating should do it.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 26 Jul 2017 , 3:13am
post #5 of 9

I would sculpt it from modeling chocolate.

eileen50538 Posted 26 Jul 2017 , 2:43pm
post #6 of 9

I would sculpt it too if I had that kind of experience with modeling chocolate. 

SandraSmiley Posted 26 Jul 2017 , 8:25pm
post #7 of 9

Modeling chocolate is a dream!  Different from fondant and gum paste, it has a learning curve, but it sure tastes better and will do a lot more things.  Depending upon how large the skull needs to be, I would make a ball of Rick Krispy Treats, cover it with modeling chocolate and shape away.  Here is the recipe and method I use to make it:

http://mcgreevycakes.com/modeling-chocolate/

eileen50538 Posted 27 Jul 2017 , 5:04pm
post #8 of 9

They skull they want on top of the cake is almost life size just maybe a tad smaller. It is the "cake topper". I made some modeling chocolate  1 time and used it for simple things like covering rice crispy treats in the shape of a cow skull. It did work great but I'm not experienced enough to do a human skull almost life size.  Wish I were... Thanks for the recipe. The one I did, came out a little oily. 

SandraSmiley Posted 28 Jul 2017 , 9:43pm
post #9 of 9

Here is a quick little video where Joshua John Russell models a skull.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%