Largest Batch Of Buttercream You Make At Once?

Decorating By tua17752 Updated 6 Aug 2017 , 7:54pm by kakeladi

tua17752 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tua17752 Posted 24 Jul 2017 , 11:55pm
post #1 of 11

Hey everyone!! I'm a newbie here at cake central and I'm wondering if anyone has a recipe for a very large batch of American buttercream?  OR I'm curious to know what you at home bakers do if you need a ton of icing that week--do you just make a bunch of batches and combine them?  Does anyone here buy store bought and doctor it up?  I usually make my own, but my mixer is 5 or 6 quart and it would take quite a few batches to make the mount I need, especially since the recipe I use typically only makes about a cup and a half or so.  Thanks!!!

10 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Jul 2017 , 1:25am
post #2 of 11

Welcome to a great helping sharing community of cake bakers/decorators.     Since you only have a 5 or 6 qt mixer you are going to have to make multipul batches.  If the recipe you using only makes 1 & 1/2 cups you probably can triple it.  HOw much sugar does you recipe use?  That size mixer can handle  a batch using 2# of sugar w/o a problem.    You can put each into a bucket and stir them together to be sure they all match in flavor and consistency.  Yeah, we all make a mistake now & then and things turn out different:)   I made it in a 20 qt so that was about 4 or 5 times the recipe I used.   This is a terrific recipe that you could use:  http://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/22469/2-icing   one batch at a time in a 6 qt mixer. 

tua17752 Posted 25 Jul 2017 , 2:08am
post #3 of 11

Awesome!!  I'm going to try it. :). Thank you!!

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 25 Jul 2017 , 3:03am
post #4 of 11

I use the exact recipe provided by kakeladi, but doubled.  It fits perfectly in my five quart KA.

Coffeelover77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coffeelover77 Posted 25 Jul 2017 , 1:00pm
post #5 of 11

I just have a standard kitchenaid so I'm guessing the same size as you. I tend towards just making basic american buttercream (2 sticks of butter, a pound of powdered sugar, dash of vanilla, splash of milk). I think I've made a triple batch  in my mixer (6 sticks butter, 3lb sugar, I suppose 1TBL vanilla, and 1/4 to 1/2 cup milk)

tua17752 Posted 27 Jul 2017 , 9:18pm
post #6 of 11

Quote by @kakeladi on 2 days ago

Welcome to a great helping sharing community of cake bakers/decorators.     Since you only have a 5 or 6 qt mixer you are going to have to make multipul batches.  If the recipe you using only makes 1 & 1/2 cups you probably can triple it.  HOw much sugar does you recipe use?  That size mixer can handle  a batch using 2# of sugar w/o a problem.    You can put each into a bucket and stir them together to be sure they all match in flavor and consistency.  Yeah, we all make a mistake now & then and things turn out different:)   I made it in a 20 qt so that was about 4 or 5 times the recipe I used.   This is a terrific recipe that you could use:  http://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/22469/2-icing   one batch at a time in a 6 qt mixer. 

I'm trying this recipe tonight!! Do you know how many cups 1 batch of it makes?  Thanks again!!

kakeladi Posted 28 Jul 2017 , 8:36pm
post #7 of 11

Well by now you have found the answer yourself :)  No, I don't remember ever measuring it out. 

tua17752 Posted 28 Jul 2017 , 11:07pm
post #8 of 11

It makes quite a bit!! Thank you so much for sharing!!!!! It's my new favorite recipe!!

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 31 Jul 2017 , 1:48pm
post #9 of 11

The recipe should multiply fine. You might could borrow or rent the kitchen at your local church or school. They are bound to have a big mixer you could use to make one big batch. Load it in buckets (check Home Depot for food safe buckets) and store in freezer or refrigerator.

tua17752 Posted 6 Aug 2017 , 6:37pm
post #10 of 11

Hey Kakeladi (if you can see this) --I was just wondering how long you recommend keeping this icing in the fridge and also if this can be frozen and thawed out the day before you wan to use it?  Trying to make a bunch ahead of time.  Thanks again!

kakeladi Posted 6 Aug 2017 , 7:54pm
post #11 of 11

tua17752  I have kept this icing in the frig for up to 10 days.  Yes, it can be fzn.  Once removed be sure to slowly stir it up again before using.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%