Help Needed

Decorating By ccotta Updated 26 Jul 2017 , 12:50am by ccotta

ccotta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccotta Posted 23 Jul 2017 , 5:16pm
post #1 of 8

Hi all, I'm new here but have been reading the forums and tutorials for a few weeks. I'm a home baker, doing cakes for family and friends and I need some advice! I'm want to do this cake Sprinkle Cake Tutorial - A step by step guide to applying sprinkles to a fondant covered cake ~ Sweetness and Bite for my step-daughters 16th birthday, next saturday.  11 inches on the bottom, 9 on the top. How many cakes should I make for each layer? I was thinking 3. Can I decorate it the night before? Should I refridgerate it after its decorated? do I need supports in the cake? I have never done a tiered cake before so I'm really not all that sure about what I am doing. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

7 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Jul 2017 , 6:04pm
post #2 of 8

what kind of cake and filling?

does the lowest edge of your cakes bake up to two inches tall? or how tall will they be after leveling?

yes you need supports in the bottom tier-- do you know what kind you are going to use?

are you delivering it, transporting it in the car?

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 23 Jul 2017 , 7:58pm
post #3 of 8

Yes, you definitely need to use supports (dowels or straws) and a cake board between the tiers.  Whether or not to refrigerate depends upon the ingredients, but I refrigerate all of my cakes.  Here is a stacking tutorial.

http://www.wilton.com/stacked-tiered-cake-construction/WLTECH-423.html

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Jul 2017 , 9:14pm
post #4 of 8

@ccotta I'm a home baker,...want to do this cake...11 inches on the bottom, 9 on the top. How many cakes should I make...

The bottom tier looks to be 4" tall so if your pan is 2" deep you will need to bake 2 of them.....the top tier looks to be 6" tall so you need 3 layers for that one.   Here is a great recipe.  You will need 1 batch for each layer - the 11" pan will use all of it and the 9" might allow for a few cupcakes extra.  http://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/7445/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe

..... Can I decorate it the night before?.......

Sure can :)                                                                                                   .....Should I refridgerate it after its decorated?.......

No need to unless it is very hot &/or humid in your home/area. 

.......do I need supports in the cake? I have never done a tiered cake before.....

No problem - you've got this kiddo :)  Put the top tier on a cake board the same size and put 3 or 4 plastic drink straws in the bottom tier to support/hold it up.  Insert them into the cake after it has been iced.  Mark a circle about 1" smaller than the top cake and arrange the straws just inside that circle.  Be super sure you put them in *straight*.  The cannot be even a bit slanted/off kilter :(   

Now you need to promise to post a pic for us when you are finished :)

ccotta Posted 23 Jul 2017 , 11:59pm
post #5 of 8

Thank you all so much! White cake with a half butter/half shortening, powdered sugar frosting. I may flavor it with raspberry and white chocolate flavoring. And I am planning on using that cake recipe! I'll use straws for the supports and no transporting, I'll be making it at my In-laws house where the party will be held.                                                                                                                                                                   I'm not sure how tall the cakes will bake up as I've never baked this cake or used the 11 inch pan, guess I'll just play that by ear. I'm going to bake the cakes tomorrow I think and freeze for a couple of days. what day should I take them out? 

For the water color top should I use fondant or can I paint on the frosting? 

I'm so nervous about this! LOL

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 24 Jul 2017 , 1:25am
post #6 of 8

This looks like the top tier could possibly be airbrushed, but you can get a beautiful water color effect on buttercream by first smoothing out whatever base color you choose, then adding various size blobs of different colors of frosting, then smoothing it all together.  It is easy and so pretty.  

As to the tier heights, it really doesn't matter that they be an exact size.  No two cakes are ever exactly the same.  It will be beautiful regardless!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Jul 2017 , 7:28pm
post #7 of 8

......... White cake with a half butter/half shortening, powdered sugar frosting. I may flavor it with raspberry and white chocolate flavoring........   This is a great icing recipe:  http://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/22469/2-icing      

...... I'm not sure how tall the cakes will bake up......  Measure how deep the pan is.  Most commercial/pro pans are 2" deep.  Fill the pan 2/3 to 3/4 full with batter and it will bake up to the top of the pan.   Maybe by now you have already baked it?  Make sure the top is level before you put the layers together with filling.         

............and freeze for a couple of days. what day should I take them out?........Take them out of the fzr to the frig the night before you want to work on them.            

.......For the water color top should I use fondant or can I paint on the frosting.....  I would do that a bit different than Sandra said :)  I would use some paste/gel color thinned alot  w/Vodka or similar, paint over the b'cream BUT.....you have to use the b'cream that crusts or fondant.  You want the color as thin and light as you can......anywhooo that's what I would do.   It's up to you which way you do it - I guess either way will work. 

ccotta Posted 26 Jul 2017 , 12:50am
post #8 of 8

Thank you! I'm feeling much better about this now. Tomorrow is cake baking day and Friday I will decorate and post a picture.  You all are wonderful!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%