White Choc Mud Cake Troubleshoot

Baking By melioka Updated 24 Jul 2017 , 10:55pm by cakesbyvivienne

melioka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melioka Posted 23 Jul 2017 , 12:55am
post #1 of 6

Would love the help from any Aussie bakers for White Chocolate Mud Cake.

I have a conventional Oven (and use an oven thermometer) and have used both the exclusivelyfood & bestrecipes Recipe for a 7" Cake and both times I found that the outside would get really brown and inside was not fully cooked when cooking at 160C. Also the texture was kind of gummy, I know that muds are meant to be dense but they weren't nice at all...

The bestrecipes recipe took 3hrs and wasn't fully cooked and it wasn't even a high tin. Exclusivelyfood took 2.30mins and same problem very hard on outside and inside wasn't fully cooked

I have to do an 8" cake this week so any help would be great!! I usually like to cook a 3 inch high cake and cut in 2 but if I have to bake each slice to make this work I will!! 

Thanks!

5 replies
cakesbyvivienne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyvivienne Posted 23 Jul 2017 , 1:55am
post #2 of 6

Hi

I mainly cook mudcakes. It is important to always use wet baking strips (or something similar) to keep the temperature down around the outside. I line the inside of my tin with non stick baking paper and then when ready to put in the oven cover the top with tin foil with a couple of small holes in the top. This helps to even out the temperature when cooking.

I use a fan forced oven and cook at 140 degrees celcius. Because of the high sugar content in mud cakes always cook at a lower temperature for a longer time. Do not over cook the cakes, tops should be slightly springy to touch and skewer should just come out clean.

I cooked 2 x 8 inch (2 inch high pans) this weekend and they took just under 2 hours to cook. A 9 inch (3 inch high pan) usually takes about 2.5 - 3 hours to cook.

Hope this helps? Good luck

melioka Posted 23 Jul 2017 , 2:26am
post #3 of 6

Thanks vivienne, I will try this.. do you leave the baking strips on for the whole cooking time?

cakesbyvivienne Posted 23 Jul 2017 , 6:32am
post #4 of 6

hi yes I keep them on the entire time

melioka Posted 24 Jul 2017 , 10:26am
post #5 of 6

So I used the exclusively food recipe for an 8 inch round and did wet baking strips and foil over the top at 140c. It took almost 3hrs but there was no crust yay!!

is it normal for the white mud to be so yellow though?

the crumb was still quite dense but definitely better

thqnks for the help it was driving me crazy :)

cakesbyvivienne Posted 24 Jul 2017 , 10:55pm
post #6 of 6

Hi yes my white mud cakes are usually slightly yellow as white chocolate is not white but cream. My crumb is not usually dense though. I use Bakels white mud cake mix. Not sure if you get it over there?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%