Wedding Cake Disaster

Business By letterlady22 Updated 26 Jul 2017 , 1:31am by kakeladi

letterlady22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letterlady22 Posted 23 Jul 2017 , 12:35am
post #1 of 11

I am a hobby baker - that is I don't have a business but friends and friends of friends like what I can do and occasionally pay me to bake - maybe once or twice a year.

I made a wedding cake and 200 cupcakes - got to the venue - carried the cake box to a table but while preparing the area, one of the servers picked up the box and tipped it.  I don't know whether the cake fell over because of her, or if it fell over on the way there.  It is a home made insulated carrier that is completely closed.  When I left the house everything was secure. I had to do some decorating on site - fresh fruit was supposed to cascade over the cake plate and onto the pedestal it sat on.  I tried to fix it but the upper tiers fell over and crushed the bottom - there was no fix.  The fact that it was an outside wedding in 90 degree heat and the bride wanted fruit fillings doesn't help.  I had supports for the tiers and bamboo skewers going through the boards for stability.

I plan to talk to the bride and/or family - but how much responsibility should I assume?  It is possible that the server's actions caused the problem, but I have no way to prove that.  I feel horrible.

10 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Jul 2017 , 3:11am
post #2 of 11

sorry you're going through this -- i hate that that happened --

one question is, why can't you prove the server tipped it?  start asking around -- but if you cannot prove the server tipped the box then unfortunately you'd assume all responsibility wouldn't you? 

and yes fruit fillings in 90 degree heat is a problem -- what kind of fillings?

but if your carrier is insulated why would the cake fall? was the cake cold -- how much was it tipped? lots of questions

i don't know

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Jul 2017 , 9:43pm
post #3 of 11

Wow, that's really a tough situation.  I'd probably be in tears :(  I agree w/k8......why can't you prove the server tipped it?  I would think you would have known/felt it if the cake tipped that badly while you were handling it.   Boy, I would not trust bamboo....it's too bendy - can absorb the moisture of the cake weakening them.  Were they what you used for doweling/supports?  Maybe that had something to do w/the problem?  Is the family/bride giving you any grief?  You  probably have to cough up a refund....as they had no cake to serve....

-K8memphis Posted 23 Jul 2017 , 9:59pm
post #4 of 11

interesting, lynne, i use bamboo skewers all the time -- the ones for shish-kabobs -- for tiny things though -- sometimes encased in a straw --

kakeladi Posted 23 Jul 2017 , 10:00pm
post #5 of 11

k8 encased in a straw probably would prevent the absorbion of moisture. 

letterlady22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letterlady22 Posted 24 Jul 2017 , 7:01am
post #6 of 11

I used heavier than usual skewers - there was no bend to them.  I haven't heard from anyone yet - I dealt exclusively with the bride and I imagine they are on their honeymoon.  The wedding planner had her daughter pick up a generic cake from somewhere, and I left my extra fresh fruit (that's what the decoration was, mostly) so she could decorate it.  I expect to refund something, but I just don't feel it's 100% my fault.

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 24 Jul 2017 , 12:31pm
post #7 of 11

Did you actually see the server pick up the box and tilt it?? If you did then that is most definitely what made your cake messed up!!! This is not your fault!!  I can not imagine why the heck the server would mess with anything since you were there trying to set the cake up!!! If you saw this happen you should have gotten the name of the server and immediately called the bride and let them know that this person is responsible!!

All your hard work ruined I am sure this made you sick!!! Sorry that this happened to you but this clearly was not your fault. Sure, they will blame you because you were there.  Let us know what happens when you talk with the bride!!! Good luck!!!

-K8memphis Posted 26 Jul 2017 , 12:45am
post #8 of 11

idk -- i mean i would have the hide of the server who tipped the box -- i would have gotten their name and address, blood type and bank account number -- who does that at a wedding -- this would have been a brand new server on their maiden voyage and i would have sunk that ship fast -- 

i don't understand this exactly

-K8memphis Posted 26 Jul 2017 , 12:52am
post #9 of 11

unfortunately  if you can't finger the tipsy tippy dude  it will be 100% your fault because they did not get what they paid for at all -- it ain't their fault right? if you partial refund, you need tippy to kick in the rest -- don't you think?

-K8memphis Posted 26 Jul 2017 , 12:56am
post #10 of 11

kakeladi, the skewers i've used are not like the ones you describe -- i've supported tons of cakes with them especially sculptures and they are often used as is, no straws -- just different i guess --

now i know wilton put out some flim flam wimpy dowel that barely held up -- these i use are not those 

kakeladi Posted 26 Jul 2017 , 1:31am
post #11 of 11

I've been thinking that several have said they use bamboo so it must be something different than what I'm thi nking/have seen....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%