Bakery Craft Pillars Too Tall!!

Baking By nancylee61 Updated 21 Jul 2017 , 8:16pm by kakeladi

nancylee61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancylee61 Posted 20 Jul 2017 , 8:05pm
post #1 of 6

OK, i am definitely out of practice! My gift wedding cake is making me nuts! My tier isn't 4 inches and the bakery craft pillars are. Suggestions? More icing? I use SMBC so it's a softer icing. Cut the pillars? How? We have all sorts of tools here. 

Thanks!

nancy

5 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Jul 2017 , 8:43pm
post #2 of 6

You don't say how much of a difference there is - is it like1",  3/4" or 1/4" or just a bit?  The best option would be to bake up another layer of cake to make up the difference.   If you cut the pillars then you won't be able to use them w/any other cake unless you make that one shorter also :(  If you choose to cut them......use a hack saw.   Not sure about bakery crafts but some are hollow and thin enough that you can cut them w/scissors. 

nancylee61 Posted 20 Jul 2017 , 8:58pm
post #3 of 6

Hi,

It is enough that it won't work this way, but if I bake another layer, it will be too tall. I think I will have to take the hacksaw out!!

640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 21 Jul 2017 , 1:39pm
post #4 of 6

If you bake another cake, you can trim all three layers to 1 1/4".  By the time you add filling and final coat, you will have your 4 inches.  Though, a shorter tier isn't bad, if it looks right.

nancylee61 Posted 21 Jul 2017 , 2:57pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you! Im writing that down!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Jul 2017 , 8:16pm
post #6 of 6

As the other poster said, you can always trim each layer enough to end up w/a nice 4" tall cake.  Or depending on what you are using maybe make a thicker filling.  If it's a loose,/thin/runny filling that won't work - it will just squish out causing a blowout :(  But if it's thick(er) bc that would help also.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%