Gumpaste Drying Out!

Decorating By Paola__ Updated 26 Jul 2017 , 9:30pm by Paola__

Paola__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paola__ Posted 20 Jul 2017 , 6:05pm
post #1 of 7

I need a bunch of gumpaste flowers for a cake in December so I decided to practice today. I kneaded and rolled to gumpaste really thin then did some cutouts. I know some decorators have special tools to store the gumpaste to keep it soft but I didn't have any so I just used a ziplock bag slit down the sides. I thought plastic wrap would be better but I was afraid the wrinkles that plastic wrap can get would imprint the gumpaste. Anyways I was able to ruffle the gumpaste well but once a started the create my rose the petals would tear and crack. As I kept working the petals would crack, tear and crumble as I was ruffling them. Oh! I used fat daddios gumpaste since that's what I had on hand. I had also colored it with some americolor gel. Any suggestions? 

6 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 20 Jul 2017 , 6:28pm
post #2 of 7

I store my petals in a zip lock bag and keep it zipped.  I've never used Fat Daddy gum paste, but if it was not nice and pliable when you took it out of the pack, you need to condition it by adding a little shortening and/or glicerine.  Fresh egg white works well, also, but is messy to work in.

Paola__ Posted 20 Jul 2017 , 6:57pm
post #3 of 7

Oh! So keep the bag zipped and as for the glicerine does it matter what kind? I have some vegetable glycerin on hand. 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 20 Jul 2017 , 8:54pm
post #4 of 7

I didn't even know there were different kinds, lol!  It should be fine.  Sorry for my crappie spelling.  My dictionary (husband) is outside.  

Once the gum paste is rolled very thin, even sealed it will not stay soft indefinitely, so don't cut out more than you plan to use in one sitting.

Paola__ Posted 20 Jul 2017 , 9:52pm
post #5 of 7

Lol thanks for the input! 

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 26 Jul 2017 , 9:05pm
post #6 of 7

When you're making a flower, only cut enough petals for that one.  And keep them covered well!  You have to work fast, especially when you're rolling it so thin,  if it's cracking, try a TINY bit of crisco in the ball.  Start really small.  If you do too much, your petals won't stand up enough to form properly and will droop before you get them on a position to dry.  

For keeping them soft, I'd invest in The Mat.  Best. Took. Ever.  You can use it for rolling without sticking and work on top to keep a clean workspace.  And put petals in between while you're working to keep them soft.  Best $25 I've ever spent.  I use it every time I decorate. 

http://sweetwise.com/the-original-mat.html

Paola__ Posted 26 Jul 2017 , 9:30pm
post #7 of 7

Oooh okay thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%