How Much For This Cake?

Decorating By Pucci Cakes Updated 9 Aug 2017 , 7:26pm by kakeladi

Pucci Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pucci Cakes Posted 20 Jul 2017 , 12:47am
post #1 of 13

Hi everyone. How much would you charge for the cake in the picture? It's a 6" and 8" cake with rainbow layers inside and also delivery is about 1 hour drive? I bake from scratch and my work is good.How Much For This Cake?

12 replies
Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 20 Jul 2017 , 2:44am
post #2 of 13

My smallest 2 tier starts around $150 and any additional details, such as the bow and rainbow, increase the price from there.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Jul 2017 , 8:16pm
post #3 of 13

It's hard to tell someone how much to charge because there are so many factors that enter into making something - like how much did the ingredients cost you....what type of community do you live in and much, much more.   It looks like most places are charging no less than $4 or $5 per serving for basic b'cream cakes and up to $10 per serving for fondant &/or sculpted cakes.  An 8/6 cake should serve about 35-40 so even Jeff's $150+ is on the low side but I really think you should not go below that....$150-$200

pursuing_perfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pursuing_perfection Posted 20 Jul 2017 , 8:51pm
post #4 of 13

I wish I could charge $150 for a cake like that!  I live in Canada - in a small prairie town, and probably could not charge more than $90 or $100.  (I don't do that many cakes anymore, because life is too busy to work for less than minimum wage!)  There is ALOT of detail on that cake...so if your community can afford to pay for it, definitely charge the $150!  It is better to do less cakes and get decent compensation for your time than to do lots of cakes with high stress for low financial return.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 20 Jul 2017 , 10:48pm
post #5 of 13

A one hour drive on delivery alone would add probably $30 to my price.

Pucci Cakes Posted 21 Jul 2017 , 12:36am
post #6 of 13

Thank you all for your help. I really appreciate it. My price for a simple 6" & 8" cake also starts at $150 so I guess $225 for this cake wont be too much...delivery included of course. I thought I was charging too much but I guess not. I do get return customers all the time so I must be doing things right. Thank you again. I love this site.

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 26 Jul 2017 , 8:59pm
post #7 of 13

$125-150 depending on where you live.  I'd also charge for delivery. 

Alohilani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alohilani Posted 26 Jul 2017 , 9:39pm
post #8 of 13

$300 to $325 plus delivery fees. I did a similar one a few months back minus the rainbow, it had a tiny unicorn and age number. It was $300 minus delivery, for a repeat customer.

Alohilani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alohilani Posted 26 Jul 2017 , 9:54pm
post #9 of 13

It won't let me edit my post. However, I wanted to add that IF the inside had to be tinted to match the outside it would cost more. It's a lot of extra work and extra time to do that.

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 27 Jul 2017 , 12:08am
post #10 of 13

Your cake is so cute!!! Love your cake!!

Pucci Cakes Posted 9 Aug 2017 , 1:44am
post #11 of 13

How Much For This Cake?How Much For This Cake?How Much For This Cake?Hello again. So I made the cake this weekend and only charged $215 without charging one hour drive delivery just because it was for a friend. Bu let me tell you something I will never make a cake like this again charging only $215. Next time I will charge at least $275 + delivery if any. It was time consuming. Here are some pictures of the cake I made...

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 9 Aug 2017 , 4:30am
post #12 of 13

Great job! Everything we do is a learning experience, and now you know how long it takes to create it, and your time is worth ALL of it! Really cute cake. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Aug 2017 , 7:26pm
post #13 of 13

As you learned, most of use also learned the hard way to charge enough for our time and talents.   What a nice cake you made! :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%