Extended Cake Recipe. Vegan?

Baking By Limpy Updated 18 Jul 2017 , 4:37pm by rychevamp

Limpy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Limpy Posted 18 Jul 2017 , 2:34pm
post #1 of 4

I know that if anyone can answer this question, it is the CC readers.

Got a request for a vegan cake. Have been doing the extended cake recipe for years with great compliments. Was wondering if there was somehow to adapt this recipe to make it vegan. Of course there would be no eggs involved in the cake & I usually make SMBC, so no butter for the icing. Any thoughts/ideas? On the internet I have seen an icing recipe that uses only vegetable shortening, but in my mind, that would have a "greasy" flavour.

Thanks in advance.

3 replies
youngj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
youngj Posted 18 Jul 2017 , 4:16pm
post #2 of 4

Not sure if your asking about the icing or cake. 

I made vegan cupcakes for my sisters birthday. I used apple cider vinegar, almond milk, vegetable oil. 

For the icing I just did store bought at Sprouts (organic/vegan).... not my best moment but  I was not getting paid for the cupcakes so I didnt look to far into the icing.

Limpy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Limpy Posted 18 Jul 2017 , 4:22pm
post #3 of 4

Looking for suggestions for both cake & icing. Don't want to use storebought as I am being paid. Oh & I live in Canada.

rychevamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rychevamp Posted 18 Jul 2017 , 4:37pm
post #4 of 4

I had to make a vegan cake a while back and most recipes have no eggs and usually have apple cider vinegar. 

I can't copy the recipe on my iPad ( being stubborn). But, this recipe is similar to the one I've used.  http://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/2015/11/21/the-ultimate-vegan-chocolate-cake/

The main thing I've noticed about vegan cakes is that they are very soft, since they don't have egg as a binder.  

There is a book called Pure Artistry that is all vegan and gluten free cake recipes. I've only used her buttercream. It was very good, but it has a lot of agave syrup added and I don't think it's necessary. It made it too soft. It uses organic palm shortening instead of vegan butter, which doesn't taste that great to me. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%