Graduation Cake Disaster. Should I Charge?

Baking By maria9 Updated 16 Jul 2017 , 9:25pm by matuszczyk

maria9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maria9 Posted 16 Jul 2017 , 4:24pm
post #1 of 5

I have been cake decorating for many years and never had this happen to me. I made a graduation cake that was 3 tiers and the cap was the fourth tier. I noticed the cake was starting to lean. By the end of the night the cake was totalling leaning that it would fall off. I took it apart (what I could). The bottom tier had totally colasped.  I repaired what I could that is the 3rd tier and the hat part. the second tier was ok but not presentable. I baked all night made them 36 decorated cupcakes, a 10" cake decorated, and they had also ordered a 1/2 sheet cake. Should I charge them or no charge?

4 replies
ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 16 Jul 2017 , 5:44pm
post #2 of 5

You baked, decorated, delivered, and served a cake that hadn't been paid for upfront? How much of the cake was actually able to be served, aside from the cupcakes? If it were me, I would not charge for anything that wasn't able to be served. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Jul 2017 , 7:23pm
post #3 of 5

i would think maybe refunding half ish of the tier cake only -- give or take a few -- when you say "by the end of the night" i'm picturing they would have been looking at tons of leftovers?

and one question for you, please -- why are you baking all night? you need that rest -- if you can't close up shop by eight or nine o'clock at the latest -- then please consider re-thinking your game plan for your own safety and well being blush

yes we are ganging up on you a teensy but for the best of reasons and most worthwhile intentions -- you!

stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Jul 2017 , 8:15pm
post #4 of 5

Do you mean you baked all night to replace the lost servings?  My feeling is that the client did not get what they ordered, so yes offer a 75% to 90% refund.   I know you gave them enough cake but it wasn't anywhere near what they ordered :(  And of course K8 is right - you need your rest.  We can't get by w/little to no sleep.......that's when problems arise. 

Now study WHY the cake leaned.  Did you have enough/proper doweling?  Were the layers level?  Did the cake crack?  What was wrong w/that 2nd tier that it was unpresentable?  Figure out why so you can keep it from happening again.

matuszczyk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matuszczyk Posted 16 Jul 2017 , 9:25pm
post #5 of 5

I would say you cant charge as you did not fullfil the order and basically let them down unfortunately

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%