Just Made The Worst Frosting In The History Of Ever

Decorating By aldonza Updated 17 Jul 2017 , 10:48pm by kakeladi

aldonza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aldonza Posted 16 Jul 2017 , 2:38am
post #1 of 12

So I'm out of the "good stuff" and my cake supply store won't be open until Wednesday. I went to Aldi's and got their shortening and powdered sugar. Let's start with it won't whip up nice and fluffy...as in I was beating it for like a half hour and no difference. No matter how I try and adjust the flavor it is VILE! They are for a church picnic (outside that is why all shortening.) Should I just say screw it, throw a bunch of sprinkles on them and hope the kids eat them? I am at my wits end and it is 10:38 pm

11 replies
thecanadian160 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecanadian160 Posted 16 Jul 2017 , 3:20am
post #2 of 12

Do you have a Wal-mart near you? They sell Great Value brand shortening that might work. I have only mixed it with butter to make my buttercream- never used it exclusively so I don't know if it will be better than what you have. 

youngj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
youngj Posted 16 Jul 2017 , 3:31am
post #3 of 12

Have you tried making buttercream without shortening? butter, powder sugar, clear vanilla, and salt? 

I don't think any grocery store is going to have high ratio shortening..sorry dear

aldonza Posted 16 Jul 2017 , 4:02am
post #4 of 12

I'm using straight shortening because the butter will melt in the heat.  I usually make my buttercream with both butter and shortening. I had no idea there would be that major of a difference ugh! Thanks and I will keep the great value brand in mind for just in case.

Nana52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nana52 Posted 16 Jul 2017 , 11:39am
post #5 of 12

Yes,  some things from Aldi's are fine, and others not so fine.  Experience:  don't get their vanilla, it has an "off" odor.  I didn't even use for fear of ruing the batter - I threw it out.

The sugar is fine.  It's the best place to purchase eggs, milk and sour cream on the cheap, and those products are fine for baking.  I found that if I watch for sales, I can actually get sugar cheaper at the grocery store.  I've never purchased Aldi's flour - just kind of scared to do so.

I agree with thecanadian160 that Wal-mart's Great Value shortening is good for icing.  I use in in SMBC all the time.  And Wal-mart has the best prices on name-brand cake mixes.  

Anyone else want to chime in on what products are good/not good at Aldi's and Wal-mart?

cutiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiger Posted 16 Jul 2017 , 1:11pm
post #6 of 12

I use Aldi's powdered sugar and regular sugar all the time.  I also use their vanilla and have had no problems.  I do use the Great Value shortening.  Be sure you get the one that does NOT say vegetable shortening.  They make 2 kinds and look the same except one is vegetable shortening.  I get everything at Aldi's except flour and shortening.  Make all my cakes from scratch so don't use the box mixes.  

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 16 Jul 2017 , 2:26pm
post #7 of 12

@aldonza ‍, my reply may be too late, but have you tried adding more flavoring?  I always add butter flavoring, in addition to vanilla, almond or whatever my other primary flavor, when making frosting with all shortening.  I use a LOT of flavoring!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Jul 2017 , 8:38pm
post #8 of 12

I don't remember if I have ever used Aldi's shortening but if I did it would have been 8-10 yrs ago so I can't say that is your problem as it probably has changed in that amount of time.  As one other poster mentioned increase your flavoring.  It does wonders! :)  2 Tablespoons is what I usually use - not sure how much more would be necessary but don't be afraid of using more to taste.

kakeladi Posted 16 Jul 2017 , 8:40pm
post #9 of 12

Oh, also I don't work in a hot & humid area but using at least 1/2 cup butter should still hold up and make a better tasting icing. 

inthekitchen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inthekitchen2 Posted 16 Jul 2017 , 10:07pm
post #10 of 12

I don't do all shortening buttercream, but I do use Aldi's powdered sugar and shortening and have no problems.

aldonza Posted 17 Jul 2017 , 12:02am
post #11 of 12

Thank you everyone. I was upping the flavoring and I used aldi vanilla...maybe that gave it the "off" flavor. I didn't want to chance butter in 90* heat. Everyone thought the cupcakes were great...especially the frosting. Go figure! I thought some miracle happened while I slept so I tasted one. Nope, the frosting fairies did not come in the middle of the night and fix my frosting. Still gross to me.mask

kakeladi Posted 17 Jul 2017 , 10:48pm
post #12 of 12

It's good to know your cuppies were enjoyed:)  See, we are our worst critics.  But for future knowledge using just 1/2 cup butter would not have made a problem even in such hot weather.  I have delt w/that for years:) As you know, some 90% of my work was done in b'cream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%