What's The Height Of Most Pillow Cakes ?

Baking By ellimak13 Updated 17 Jul 2017 , 7:43am by caketownathens

ellimak13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellimak13 Posted 14 Jul 2017 , 1:22am
post #1 of 4

Hey everyone , 

i wanted to know what's the height of most pillow cakes ? 

3 replies
caketownathens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caketownathens Posted 14 Jul 2017 , 4:03pm
post #2 of 4

Hi,

I guess the height would depend on the length and width of the cake - as with caking most objects, pillow cakes would need to be proportional, in order to appear as realistic as possible. 

For a square 9" or a 9"x13" rectangular pillow cake, for instance, I wouldn't go higher than 3", maybe 4", but again, it all depends on the design you're going for.

You'd also have to take into account whatever object (if any) you plan on placing on the pillow: the 'heavier' it is, the less puffy the pillow would be. 

My advice is to take the measurements of the cake you intend to make, then try and compare it to actual pillows in your home and see how thick they are when you place something on them.

ellimak13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellimak13 Posted 14 Jul 2017 , 6:08pm
post #3 of 4

Hi , okay that sounds like a plan . My cake is currently 2 inches tall so maybe I need more layers . My cake will be around 16 inches in length 

Quote by @caketownathens on 1 hour ago

Hi,

I guess the height would depend on the length and width of the cake - as with caking most objects, pillow cakes would need to be proportional, in order to appear as realistic as possible. 

For a square 9" or a 9"x13" rectangular pillow cake, for instance, I wouldn't go higher than 3", maybe 4", but again, it all depends on the design you're going for.

You'd also have to take into account whatever object (if any) you plan on placing on the pillow: the 'heavier' it is, the less puffy the pillow would be. 

My advice is to take the measurements of the cake you intend to make, then try and compare it to actual pillows in your home and see how thick they are when you place something on them.

caketownathens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caketownathens Posted 17 Jul 2017 , 7:43am
post #4 of 4

I'd probably go up to 3" or 4" for a 16" inch cake, but again, that all depends on how fluffy you want your pillow to look.

Good luck, make sure you post pics when you're done!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%