Perishable Fillings

Baking By lizzyf Updated 13 Jul 2017 , 3:20pm by ypierce82

lizzyf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizzyf Posted 13 Jul 2017 , 2:19pm
post #1 of 3

Hi all!

I'm making a 2 tiered MMF covered cake this weekend for my son's 1st birthday. It's going to have a cookie dough filling which has a little bit of milk in it. I usually store my fondant cakes on the counter overnight but wondering if I should put this one in the fridge because of the milk? I don't have a dedicated cake fridge so I'm not sure how I'll fit it it my fridge. What would you do?

2 replies
ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 13 Jul 2017 , 3:16pm
post #2 of 3

I made an eggless cookie dough filling for my husband's birthday cake, and I put it in the fridge and kept it there. Mainly because the filling was really soft in the humidity of the kitchen and I didn't want the layers to slide. You can keep it on the counter, or place in the fridge. If you put it in the fridge, just take it out an hour or two before the party so it can come back to room temp. The fondant will sweat with the change in temperature, just don't touch it and it will be fine.

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 13 Jul 2017 , 3:20pm
post #3 of 3

Do you have removable shelves in your fridge? If you do, remove the one closest to the bottom. If you do not, I would keep them as 2 separate tiers to store, then put together the morning of. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%