Buttercream Estimates! How Much!?

Decorating By Hunterjh18 Updated 6 Dec 2017 , 3:23pm by Hunterjh18

Hunterjh18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hunterjh18 Posted 12 Jul 2017 , 2:24pm
post #1 of 6

Hello hello! 

So I'm new to the baking world, and I love it so far! But I'm stumped trying to plan ahead regarding buttercream. 

I have an order of 75 cupcakes for this Saturday and I'm not sure how much buttercream I need.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!! 

Thanks in advance! :D

5 replies
640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 12 Jul 2017 , 2:53pm
post #2 of 6

I would only need one batch, but my American Buttercream recipe uses 4 lbs of powdered sugar (more of a double batch).  I am not sure what buttercream (ABC, SMBC, IMBC) and recipe you are using, so I cannot say what your typical batch yields.  I also do not know how you are frosting your cupcakes to know how much each one would have.  If it's a colored buttercream, I would say maybe triple your recipe ?? to ensure you have enough as it is hard to color match if you run out.  I would think most recipes would cover 24 cupcakes, depending on design.

I always make extra...buttercream can be frozen - and comes in handy in a pinch - especially colored!  Colored buttercream is made about a week in advance to allow the color to develop.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 12 Jul 2017 , 3:28pm
post #3 of 6

To be honest....I've been decorating for 35 years and I still do a bad job estimating how much icing I need for a cake!  

Cupcake icing depends on how much you plan to use on each.  Are you piping a tall swirl, or just covering the tops?  

I'd say two 2 pounds of powdered sugar batches should be an ample amount. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Jul 2017 , 8:49pm
post #4 of 6

Yeah, what Jeff said.   There used to be a 'rule of thumb' of one batch of icing using 2# of sugar for each cake mix used.  But there have been times for me what it was either not enough or way too much.  As Jeff said it depends on how you are going to top those cuppies.

Hunterjh18 Posted 6 Dec 2017 , 3:23pm
post #5 of 6

Hey everyone  thanks for all the replies. Sorry it took a while. I did manage to figure out what I needed. I made extra and made my own little LG of how much of everything I needed. Thanks for everyone's help though! 

Hunterjh18 Posted 6 Dec 2017 , 3:23pm
post #6 of 6

Hey everyone  thanks for all the replies. Sorry it took a while. I did manage to figure out what I needed. I made extra and made my own little LG of how much of everything I needed. Thanks for everyone's help though! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%