Ruffle Buttercream

Decorating By youngj Updated 11 Jul 2017 , 9:34pm by youngj

youngj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
youngj Posted 11 Jul 2017 , 1:57pm
post #1 of 7

I am wanting to make the bottom tier of this cake. Does anyone have a suggestion on what kind of tip to use? I'm almost positive its buttercream and not fondant.

Ruffle Buttercream

6 replies
Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 11 Jul 2017 , 3:50pm
post #2 of 7

Giant Rose Tip #127D.

640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 11 Jul 2017 , 7:13pm
post #3 of 7

You can get a similar look with buttercream for sure, but that looks very much like fondant....and photoshopped for some odd reason?

740e55ca770ddfc1187c23ba92ab4f6a.jpg

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 11 Jul 2017 , 8:36pm
post #4 of 7

The rose tip has a bigger side and a smaller side. So, to all you professionals out there, which side should be up and which side which should be down when piping ruffles around sides of cake? I have forgotten. I am sure youngi would want to know this when they begin to pipe the ruffle. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Jul 2017 , 9:06pm
post #5 of 7

.........rose tip has a bigger side and a smaller side. So, to all you professionals out there, which side should be up ....

Almost always the lg/wider end is down and the narrow end up.  Of course there may be a few exceptions but as a general rule......^^^

crnewbold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crnewbold Posted 11 Jul 2017 , 9:17pm
post #6 of 7

Good catch 640cake!  Probably photoshopped to remove the watermark and place it on a different stand and claim it as their own.

I agree, those are fondant ruffles.

youngj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
youngj Posted 11 Jul 2017 , 9:34pm
post #7 of 7

Now I get why you posted the other picture! @640cake. The more i stare at the picture you guys are right it looks more like fondant. 

Ive watched a few Youtube videos/ tutorials but can't find any similar to this.

Thanks for all your help, I'm going to try and do it with a rose tip but if that looks terrible all try fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%