Recommended Shortening?

Decorating By HobbyBakerToo Updated 11 Jul 2017 , 3:52am by SandraSmiley

HobbyBakerToo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HobbyBakerToo Posted 10 Jul 2017 , 8:49pm
post #1 of 4

I haven't made buttercream icing in quite some time, but I know that shortenings no longer have trans fat in them. I'm a little afraid this is going to cause a problem when I make cupcakes next week for a friend's birthday celebration. So if there aren't any transfats in shortening anymore, what do you guys use?? I don't make cakes enough to warrant spending a ton of money on something I only use once or twice a  year, but I also have no idea how the buttercream is going to hold up or taste now either.

Advice please and thank you <3

Kristi 

3 replies
Surgtech09ash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Surgtech09ash Posted 10 Jul 2017 , 9:45pm
post #2 of 4

I've found some with the added fats hun. Don't know where you're located at but in TX at HEB and Walmart they've got them. You just have to look on the label. There's one brand bake rite that has some added. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Jul 2017 , 9:52pm
post #3 of 4

For what it's worth I still use Crisco w/o a problem

Also, there is a thread on here where we talked about adding 'fat' to shortening to create our own blend.  Render some chicken or pork (or other meat - maybe lard?) fat.  It probably wouldn;'t take much.....I'm thinking like a tablespoon (or less) per cup of shortening well mixed in.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 11 Jul 2017 , 3:52am
post #4 of 4

I did invest in a box of Sweetex, so I am fixed up for a while.  Before, however, I too used Crisco and I really don't think there is a world of difference.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%