Vanilla Extract Question

Baking By Kim1182 Updated 14 Jul 2017 , 3:44am by edhart58

Kim1182 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim1182 Posted 10 Jul 2017 , 3:24pm
post #1 of 17

Can anyone tell me what difference it would make using pure vanilla extract with sugar and without sugar?  If the extract doesn't have sugar, would additional sugar need to be added to the recipe?

16 replies
Paola__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paola__ Posted 10 Jul 2017 , 4:15pm
post #2 of 17

I've always used extracts that don't have sugar just because that's what I can get in my area. And no you don't need to add extra sugar to your recipes. As for the vanilla with sugar, are you sure thats vanilla extract and not a flavoring or other thing?

Kim1182 Posted 10 Jul 2017 , 4:47pm
post #3 of 17

Thanks.  Yes it's pure vanilla extract with alcohol sugar(s)

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 10 Jul 2017 , 5:08pm
post #4 of 17

I use Nielsey-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract and, much to my surprise, it does contain a small amount of sugar.  In all of my years of baking, I never realized!  As @Paola__ ‍ said, no need to add additional sugar to the recipe if your vanilla doesn't include it as an ingredient.  It is such a small amount, you would never be able to detect the difference.

Kim1182 Posted 10 Jul 2017 , 5:39pm
post #5 of 17

Thanks everyone.  I too use Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon vanilla, but with the price of vanilla, I'm looking for a new brand.  I hope the brand doesn't make much difference in the taste.  It is hard to believe there is a vanilla shortage.  Reminds me of many years ago when there was an alleged coffee bean shortage so we saw the coffee prices skyrocket.  

SandraSmiley Posted 10 Jul 2017 , 6:40pm
post #6 of 17

@Kim1182 ‍, since the prices tripled, I am not sure that it is still true, but when a 32 oz. bottle of N-M vanilla was 30 something dollars, it was only a fraction of the cost of McCormick's from the supermarket.  Yes, there are definite differences in the taste of vanilla!

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 10 Jul 2017 , 9:39pm
post #7 of 17

I buy vanilla beans off the internet and make my own vanilla.  I have several different "flavors" I "brew" - Tahitian, Madagascar, Ugandan, and Tongan.  I use some of them as stocking stuffers for daughters-in-law at Christmas and keep the rest for myself.  I'm even trying lemon flavoring right now, but don't think it's finished.  Not sure if that one is going to work out or not.  I just take a 1.75 liter of vodka, take some vodka out, and start stuffing with beans that I have slit down the middle so I can get some seeds in the vanilla when I shake the bottles.  I don't remember how many beans I stuff down the bottle, but enough to make the vanilla kind of strong flavored.  If need be, I poor some of the vodka that was poured off to make room for the beans back into the bottle and pour the rest in another bottle that my hubby is using to make drinks with.  I love making homemade vanilla!

Gerle Posted 10 Jul 2017 , 9:40pm
post #8 of 17

Oh....forgot to mention that you have to shake the vanilla from time to time to mix it all up really well!

SandraSmiley Posted 10 Jul 2017 , 11:56pm
post #9 of 17

@Gerle ‍, is it any more cost effective to make your own?

Gerle Posted 11 Jul 2017 , 12:07am
post #10 of 17

Well, I think it is because I can make it the strength I want and I got a lot of vanilla beans that I purchased on line.  I can't remember right now which site I got them from on line, but I know I got them from a couple.  I want to say vanilla bean products was one and beanilla was another.  Don't quote me on the spelling of them!  I was also then able to still use those beans to scrape the seeds off and use that in my baking as well.  It was something I really enjoyed doing for the most part and my family sure enjoys it!  I haven't done it in awhile because I made so much the last time I did that I don't need any more right now.

SandraSmiley Posted 11 Jul 2017 , 1:48am
post #11 of 17

Thanks, @Gerle ‍.  I will check it out.

Kim1182 Posted 11 Jul 2017 , 6:25pm
post #12 of 17

Thanks everyone.  I think I'll try making my own.

Bakerlady2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakerlady2 Posted 11 Jul 2017 , 11:53pm
post #13 of 17

Grade B vanilla beans are recommended to make your own vanilla. They look dried out and shriveled, but they are considered better because they have less water in them and make a stronger vanilla flavor

Kim1182 Posted 12 Jul 2017 , 1:16am
post #14 of 17

Thanks Bakerlady2

Kim1182 Posted 12 Jul 2017 , 1:24am
post #15 of 17

Let me ask this:  I want to use madagascar bourbon vanilla beans because I like the flavor of that vanilla.  Does it matter what alcohol is used, i.e. vodka or bourbon.

Gerle Posted 12 Jul 2017 , 2:41am
post #16 of 17

The people I know who have made their own vanilla have used vodka or bourbon.  I personally haven't ever tried bourbon, don't know why, just haven't, but either would work.

edhart58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edhart58 Posted 14 Jul 2017 , 3:44am
post #17 of 17
Pure vanilla extract is made according to a standard set by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA); 21CFR169.175. A standard "single-fold" pure vanilla extract is prepared by soaking 13.35 ounces of grade-b vanilla beans in one gallon of 35% alcohol. The extract may contain any of the following five additives and still be "pure" (generally only one of the additives would be used):

(1) Glycerin.
(2) Propylene glycol.
(3) Sugar (including invert sugar).
(4) Dextrose.
(5) Corn syrup (including dried corn syrup).

So, what is the function of these "additives" (like sugar)? The organic compounds that are in vanilla beans are not very soluble in water. The 35% alcohol used to make the extract is 65% water. All of the additives are organic compounds that are also very water soluble. What these additives do is to improve the solubility of the vanilla extractives in the alcohol:water solution. If the additives are not used, you may get a bit less extraction of the materials from the vanilla beans. Also, the extract may be a bit cloudy without the additives.

So, how much additive is used? Nielsen-Massey states that they use about 5% cane sugar (sucrose) in their extract. In a teaspoon of vanilla extract, 5% sugar would be about 5 drops (if you thought of the sugar as a liquid). To put that in perspective, 3 cups of sugar in a pound cake recipe is equal to about 14,000 drops (as a liquid). So, the 5 drops of sugar "additive" from the vanilla extract would be a minuscule amount.

A note on the vanilla shortage. The reason for the vanilla shortage is two-fold (with lots of underlying causes). Here's the short version of the story. Back in 2003-2005 there was a price spike in cured vanilla beans similar to today. Cured beans were selling for as much as $600 per kilogram (that's about $230 per 13.35 ounces to make a gallon of extract). Consumers starting switching from pure vanilla to vanillin, resulting in a 30% drop in demand in 2005. That drop in demand caused the vanilla market to crash. The price of cured beans dropped to about $20 per kilogram (that's $7.57 for 13.35 ounces of cured beans). With prices that low, many vanilla farmers in Madagascar (source of 80% of the world's vanilla beans) stopped growing vanilla beans. As recently as 2011, a kilo of cured vanilla beans was selling for $25.

As farmers were leaving, the demand for pure vanilla was increasing. Within the last few years, large companies like Nestlé, Hershey's, Kellogg's and General Mills have shifted from using vanillin to using natural vanilla. Finally, vanilla harvests in Madagascar in 2015 and 2016 were poor. So, there are not a lot of vanilla beans in the "pipeline" and prices are pushing toward $600 a kilo. At some point, the supply and demand will fall in line again. When? Nobody knows.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%