Cream Cheese Icing With Less Sugar Added

Baking By ellimak13 Updated 21 Jul 2017 , 8:51pm by kakeladi

ellimak13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellimak13 Posted 8 Jul 2017 , 3:10pm
post #1 of 8

Hello all, 

I have a customer who's looking for a red velvet cake with less powered sugar because they're diabetic . Im nervous that it will change the consistency of the icing and only yield a small amount. What do you guys recommend that I do or does anyone have a crusting cream cheese recipe with a smaller amount of powdered sugar. 

7 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Jul 2017 , 5:58pm
post #2 of 8

I no longer have access to the recipe but yrs ago I did have a recipe for diabetics using cottage cheese.  That's all I remember about it -- maybe if you googled that you can find one.  Then there is always the fact that the client could scrape off most of th e icing.  It really isn't fair for them to make you come up w/something  special just for them and expect it to work out just fine.  We are not magicians. 

ellimak13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellimak13 Posted 8 Jul 2017 , 6:39pm
post #3 of 8

Thank you ! 

Quote by @kakeladi on 39 minutes ago

I no longer have access to the recipe but yrs ago I did have a recipe for diabetics using cottage cheese.  That's all I remember about it -- maybe if you googled that you can find one.  Then there is always the fact that the client could scrape off most of th e icing.  It really isn't fair for them to make you come up w/something  special just for them and expect it to work out just fine.  We are not magicians. 

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 8 Jul 2017 , 9:37pm
post #4 of 8

Here is a recipe I use because my family doesn't like a whack load of icing sugar in cream cheese icing. And neither do I. Now I've only used on red velvet cupcakes, not a whole cake. And just for my family. Not sure how it would hold up under fondant, if your using. When cupcakes are refrigerated, icing is very firm. Icing stays firm on the counter in a cool area. You could try a sample batch on some cupcakes, see what you think. Then you could offer to your customer. But caution her it's not your regular buttercream, and your not sure how long itvwill hold up.

But as kakeladi posted, customer could scrape off excess icing. And agreed, we're not magicians!!

http://www.texanerin.com/healthier-cream-cheese-frosting/

Mary.suvak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mary.suvak Posted 21 Jul 2017 , 5:04pm
post #5 of 8

What if you tried the cooked flour buttercream and whipped in some cream cheese? I know that being made with granulated sugar it tastes less sweet, not sure about actual sugar content. 

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 21 Jul 2017 , 7:19pm
post #6 of 8

Try this one....soften 2 eight ounce packs of cream cheese and 1 stick of butter to room temp.

Beat these cream cheese and butter together until smooth.  Mix in 1 teaspoon vanilla.

Mix in 2 cups of powdered sugar until smooth.

Fold in 8 ounces sugar-free Cool Whip.

This icing sets up pretty fast, so use just as soon as it's made.

littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 21 Jul 2017 , 8:31pm
post #7 of 8

Are you serious less sugar in a slice of cake, what about the carbs? How on earth are they going to know the sugar content of the cake. I never will understand why dieabetics don't just plan when they know will be having dessert. of course you can't let the greediest person you know be responsible for cutting the cake ( one slice could be a 4 serving portion). MY Grandma was a type 2 dieabetic, and she planned her week for dessert  when she knew dessert would be consumed that week. She lived well into her 80s never had any of the troubles associated with diabeties.  I'm saying why don't they consume less of the cake. Sorrry I'm not much help. I wish you luck and better answers than i gave.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Jul 2017 , 8:51pm
post #8 of 8

Littlejewel........I so agree w/you.  Also, there are so many who are not dieabetic but still want less sweet cakes & icings.  I just don't get it......this is *MEANT* to be sweet.    Always reminds me of a student I had who brought a crumb coated cake in to class and when I told him it needed a finish coat of icing he said the family didn't like it soooo sweet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%