Mexican Themed Cake The Flowers

Decorating By daracelim Updated 10 Jul 2017 , 2:43am by MBalaska

daracelim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daracelim Posted 7 Jul 2017 , 9:16am
post #1 of 14

Hello hope everyone is great! I have a quick question , I'm making this cake but I'm not sure what those flowers are made out of , does anyone know ? They look buttercream to me . Also the bouquet on top how is it made? Is it a bunch of frosting and frozen buttercream flowers on top??Mexican Themed Cake The Flowers

13 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 7 Jul 2017 , 2:25pm
post #2 of 14

Well, the title says buttercream.  They certainly look like bc.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 7 Jul 2017 , 4:52pm
post #3 of 14

I agree, the flowers are buttercream, but not necessarily frozen.  They could be setting on a mound of frosting or there could be a small half round layer of cake underneath.  Either would elevate the flowers.  Since I would not be able to pipe these flower in a million years, I would make them from gum paste and go for the same look.

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 7 Jul 2017 , 5:14pm
post #4 of 14

Looks like buttercream flowers to me. I agree that there is probably a mound of frosting to elevate the flowers. I love to make buttercream flowers. Anyone can pipe buttercream flowers if they practice. They are easier to make than you think. 

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 7 Jul 2017 , 5:21pm
post #5 of 14

You can pipe the flowers out of a good crusting buttercream and allow them to air dry a few days...while they remain soft inside, the outside will dry enough for you to places them as you like....just pipe a big mound of buttercream then place them where you want them.

SandraSmiley Posted 7 Jul 2017 , 7:50pm
post #6 of 14

@remnant3333 ‍, I cannot pipe flowers...well, I can pipe a pile of frosting, lol, but only a very generous soul would call them flowers.  I don't think I've ever mastered the proper consistency for piping, plus I have very arthritic hands which hate that piping bag.  Fortunately, I can make decent gum paste flowers so I can fake it.  I do so admire and love beautiful buttercream work, even more than royal.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Jul 2017 , 8:24pm
post #7 of 14

Yes, what Jeff said.  Those are probably piped w/tip 104 or (I think it's) tip 127 - just a big rose petal tip:)  Looks like 5 or 6 rows of petals for each flower.

daracelim Posted 8 Jul 2017 , 5:37am
post #8 of 14

Haha lol

daracelim Posted 8 Jul 2017 , 5:40am
post #9 of 14

Thanks so much to all who took the time to answer my question, very helpful !

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 8 Jul 2017 , 6:33am
post #10 of 14

You know, it does say they're piped buttercream, but they sure look too uniform and identical. To me they look molded fondant, with piped leaves.

kakeladi Posted 8 Jul 2017 , 5:48pm
post #11 of 14

They look 'too perfect' to have been piped because this decorator has 'that just right touch'.  I've seen a few others who make their roses just that perfect :)

SandraSmiley Posted 8 Jul 2017 , 11:55pm
post #12 of 14

Agreed, @kakeladi ‍.  Someone is just very accomplished with a piping bag.  Bet you could do this!

kakeladi Posted 9 Jul 2017 , 8:22pm
post #13 of 14

Thanks for the votsw of confidence but I'm not that much of a perfectionist :) 

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 10 Jul 2017 , 2:43am
post #14 of 14

On Kristen Coniaris website, Wicked Goodies @WickedGoodies ‍ on CC, this page of inspirational cakes has this cake on it:

https://www.wickedgoodies.net/inspiration-train/

It says that photo is from 'Delicious Bakery' in California.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%