Gold Leaf On Smbc - Help!

Decorating By kkforster Updated 6 Jul 2017 , 12:37pm by kkforster

kkforster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkforster Posted 6 Jul 2017 , 3:19am
post #1 of 5

I'm doing a 3 tier wedding cake for this Saturday - this was fairly last minute -- got a call from the wedding coordinator less than a month before the Big Day saying her client hadn't wanted a cake since they are having a dessert table, but then changed her mind.   Tiers will be 14-10-6. I'm using the SPS system to support it - it will be my first time using it. The design is extremely simple. SMBC, 10 & 6 tiers to be smooth, the 14" tier she wants completely gold leaf. I have 50 sheets, and I have worked with it before on chocolate ganache.  The floral designer will place flowers when I arrive. I plan to fill and frost Friday, wrap and freeze.  It is 2 tiers vanilla butter cake with raspberry SMBC filling and vanilla SMBC frost. 1 tier chocolate butter cake with raspberry SMBC filling and vanilla SMBC frost. 

Question time!  

When should I apply the gold leaf?  Do I need to worry about it separating? 

What time should I take the cakes out of the freezer? I'm in NY, its an indoor wedding, cake will be delivered by 630pm, cake cutting is scheduled for 830pm.  It is a 1 hour drive to the venue.  

Should I put the SPS in the tiers and then stack upon arrival? should i travel with them stacked?  

IS THERE ANYTHING I'M MISSING?? I'm not sure if I should be concerned about anything else.  thank you!

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Jul 2017 , 10:30am
post #2 of 5

take them out of the freezer the night before and put them in the fridge -- deliver them sealed in corrugated boxes cold from the fridge --

i noticed a slight difference on my gold foil just coming from the fridge compared to not being chilled at all -- so test it on the freezer thing -- you'll need to be sure that it comes to room temp gradually ergo the overnight thaw and the boxes --

for sps you can deliver stacked if you want -- if you do be sure to stick the plates together so nothing slides -- like a big blob of icing or double stick tape -- but don't let it get too heavy for you either --

hope all goes very well 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Jul 2017 , 10:39am
post #3 of 5

and of course the gold foil is not edible, not fda approved in the u.s.

coconutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coconutz Posted 6 Jul 2017 , 12:29pm
post #4 of 5

Not a rhetorical question - why would you freeze these?

kkforster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkforster Posted 6 Jul 2017 , 12:37pm
post #5 of 5

It's more of a convenience thing for me. I have more freezer room than refrigerator room and I feel more comfortable working with cakes from a frozen state when it's hot out. 

If I was working in my own kitchen space rather than rental I would probably do things differently.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%