American Buttercream

Baking By Cakesbybliss Updated 21 Jul 2017 , 3:34am by Jenny BakesAlot

Cakesbybliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakesbybliss Posted 4 Jul 2017 , 3:49am
post #1 of 10

Hello everyone! 

I recently startted my cake business and I've been having problems with my cakes being to sweet. Most of my clients tell me my cakes taste great but there are those few that tell me that my cake is overly sweet. I think they're referring to my buttercream (American buttercream) 

I put two times the amount (in weight) of icing sugar to butter for making my icing. I understand that I can cut back on the sugar a little bit but I'm scared that my icing won't hold too well if I lay fondant over it. Does anyone know an alternative to making my icing stiff but not overly sweet? 

also, I'm curious! Do most people prefer American buttercream or other style buttercreams? Let me know! I'm still nooby

9 replies
Deerawr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deerawr Posted 4 Jul 2017 , 2:17pm
post #2 of 10

Look into flour buttercream. It's way less sweet but still very very delicious. A bit more effort to make, but wowy, when i made this type of buttercream, my whole family were very impressed and all enjoyed it. 

Cakesbybliss Posted 4 Jul 2017 , 7:15pm
post #3 of 10

Thank you! What's a flour buttercream?

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 4 Jul 2017 , 8:44pm
post #5 of 10

Make sure the pudding part of above is completely cooled before mixing with butter. I have made this frosting several times and it is very good.

JoandPenelope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoandPenelope Posted 6 Jul 2017 , 2:57am
post #6 of 10

I find that people either love American buttercream and HATE SMBC/IMBC, or the exact opposite. I personally like American buttercream for topping cupcakes but I much prefer SMBC for filling and frosting layer cakes. It's just a matter of taste! 

Cakesbybliss Posted 6 Jul 2017 , 7:04am
post #7 of 10

Thanks guys! ❤️

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 16 Jul 2017 , 1:35am
post #8 of 10

http://leelabeanbakes.com/blog/frosting-filling/even-better-cooked-flour-frosting

I also make cooked flour icing. But I tweak it for the summer months. After adding the flour/sugar slurry to my butter,  I add 2 cups of icing sugar and 2 tblsp of meringue powder. Beating well. I made my birthday cake a week ago..early July. Was hot and humid. Used this icing and also added 1/4 cup of royal icing. Even with those additions, icing wasn't too sweet.

nancylee61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancylee61 Posted 19 Jul 2017 , 6:12pm
post #9 of 10

Hi,

Unless you live in a really hot place, why don't you try Swiss meringue buttercream? It is amazing, and not really hard to make. 

Personally, after I learned to make this, i would never order a cake made with a shortening frosting. It just tastes too sweet, oily and fake to me. 

Just my opinion - i dont bake professionally, but always ask what are in cakes at events. 

Good luck!

nancy

Jenny BakesAlot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenny BakesAlot Posted 21 Jul 2017 , 3:34am
post #10 of 10

I use 40 oz. powdered sugar to 24 oz. butter, plus half & half and vanilla.  No Crisco.  Everyone raves about my icing.  I'm not a fan of IMBC or SMBC, but I do really like flour buttercream (which I call cooked icing), but it takes longer, and since no one requests, it I rarely make it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%