Indydebi'd Buttercream Softens When Brought Out Of Fridge

Decorating By Babernathy Updated 3 Jul 2017 , 3:48am by rdjr

Babernathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babernathy Posted 2 Jul 2017 , 6:51pm
post #1 of 5

Every time I think my cake is ready to smooth with the viva method I'll pull it out of the fridge and it immediately starts softening and getting glossy. Why is my buttercream doing this? I use indydebi's recipe. Am I not leaving it in the fridge long enough? I usually let it crust a few hours and it feels crusted to the touch until I bring it out. Does anyone have any advice for a newbie?

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Jul 2017 , 8:22pm
post #2 of 5

O.k......I dare say any b'cream will soften when removed from a time in a cold, humid place (frig) to a warm room.   I never used that perticular icing recipe but have never put a b'cream crumb coated cake into the frig to 'dry' for that very reason.  A  crumb coat should dry to the touch within 5 minutes if left at room temp.  Of course, it will feel crusted to the touch after being in a frig for several hours.  And Yes! it will soften when removed from that cold.  Just let your cakes - crumbed or finished coat dry at room temp.  It shouldn't take long (I'm talking minutes, not hours) at all if the consistency of the b'cream is right for the job.

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 2 Jul 2017 , 10:23pm
post #3 of 5

I agree with Kakeladi.  I have always let my frosting dry at room temperature. I once made chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting for my family. The frosting crusted pretty quickly and I kept it out of the refrigerator underneath a cake glass dome. It kept for 3 days and by 3rd day all was gone. It did not go bad because Buttercream has so much sugar in it and all the sugar in it keeps it from molding. I always put saran wrap on the part of cake that is cut which keeps the cake fresh. 

Babernathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babernathy Posted 3 Jul 2017 , 1:09am
post #4 of 5

Thanks, Ladies. I'm going to try letting it dry/crust at room temp. Thanks!

rdjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rdjr Posted 3 Jul 2017 , 3:48am
post #5 of 5

Your buttercream is glossy because of condensation. Like when you you a gold drink and the cup/bottle is wet and drippy from the outside. Let it crust at room temp.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%