Help With Chocolate Buttercream

Decorating By DormCat Updated 4 Jul 2017 , 2:42pm by SandraSmiley

DormCat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DormCat Posted 1 Jul 2017 , 1:04am
post #1 of 7

Hi all 

I am in need of assistance with my chocolate buttercream asap for my great nephews birthday to tomorrow . The recipe calls for a cup of unsweetened cocoa and 5 cups icing sugar but the taste is way too bitter. What can I add to put some sweetness into it. Would it be ok to just add more sugar 

6 replies
LilacFairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LilacFairy Posted 1 Jul 2017 , 1:38am
post #2 of 7

Hi!

I would say... use a different recipe, or just make your own!  I often just throw some butter (and or shortening) together, a little cream, and powdered sugar ( + cocoa powder in your case).

If you want to use the recipe just lower the amount of cocoa powder, or raise the sugar amount (just don't do too much)

Hope this helps!

ptL - Shelby

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 1 Jul 2017 , 1:45am
post #3 of 7

That is twice the amount of cocoa called for in my recipe.  Since you already have it made, rather than throw it away, I would make another batch of regular buttercream frosting (vanilla) and combine it with your batch of chocolate.  That should work out just about right.  You can seal and freeze any left over buttercream for later use. 

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 4 Jul 2017 , 4:31am
post #4 of 7

Best chocolate buttercream ever...

Help With Chocolate Buttercream

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 4 Jul 2017 , 4:33am
post #5 of 7

I used hi ratio instead of crisco.  It was amazing!!  And it help up beautifully under fondant. 

DormCat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DormCat Posted 4 Jul 2017 , 5:58am
post #6 of 7

Thank you all for responding. I did make a batch of vanilla buttercream and added about a third of the chocolate which worked out great. When my brother came to pick up the party cakes I had him and my sister in law do a taste test of the chocolate buttercream and they really liked it. Since it was also their anniversary and I had a third chocolate cake baked I used the chocolate buttercream and decorated a cake for them. 

@kristiemarie ‍ this was the first time I'd made chocolate buttercream so thank you for the recipe. I will use it next time. 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 4 Jul 2017 , 2:42pm
post #7 of 7

Good save, @DormCat ‍ !  That worked out perfectly - made people happy and didn't even waste any frosting!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%