Liz Marek Fondant- Questions

Decorating By Coffeelover77 Updated 2 Jul 2017 , 3:24am by SandraSmiley

Coffeelover77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coffeelover77 Posted 30 Jun 2017 , 12:58pm
post #1 of 6

Since I still haven't found the perfect fondant recipe I'm going to try liz mareks recipe as I've read people like it!

my questions are-

1. the wilton fondant I bought is 24oz (1.5lb) should I just use it all, or should I try to take off 1/4lb ish ? not sure if the 1.25lb needs to be exact

2. does it matter which shortening I use? is it ok to use the palm oil kind of shortening, i know it's probably softer than crisco

3. Do you always use the machine with dough hook to mix? my kitchen aid stand mixer is old and I'm a little concerned this job could finish it off ... just seems it will be a stiff dough to be mixing up. Is it hard on the machine?

thanks everyone!

5 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 30 Jun 2017 , 2:51pm
post #2 of 6

1. the wilton fondant I bought is 24oz (1.5lb) should I just use it all, or should I try to take off 1/4lb ish ? not sure if the 1.25lb needs to be exact

It will be fine to use the whole 1.5 pounds, @Coffeelover77 ‍, it is not that exacting.

2. does it matter which shortening I use? is it ok to use the palm oil kind of shortening, i know it's probably softer than crisco

I cannot really answer this questions because I have only used Crisco.  This fondant is very soft anyway, so I don't know if you would want to use palm oil or not.  I've never used it so have no idea how it would react.

3. Do you always use the machine with dough hook to mix? my kitchen aid stand mixer is old and I'm a little concerned this job could finish it off ... just seems it will be a stiff dough to be mixing up. Is it hard on the machine? 

Oh yes, it is hard on your KA!  I bought a 7 quart with a big, powerful motor just for making fondant and gum paste.  You could get it started with the mixer, but when it starts to strain, your probably should finish kneading it by hand.

This is the best tasting fondant I have tried and it is pretty easy with which to work.  Hope you like it.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 30 Jun 2017 , 8:36pm
post #3 of 6

Again I agree w/Sandra:)  Wilton fondant isn't that bad when you add flavoring to it.  I just put a bit on a ball of fondant, work/knead it in then add more until I can smell it in the fondant.  Don't actually measure.  I prefere to roll my fondant out on shortening so the palm oil stuff should work just fine.  Just smear a bit on your rolling surface, then wipe lightly w/a paper towel before you start.  I cannot have palm oil (allergy) - never use the stuff so can't say how it will work in a recipe. 

Coffeelover77 Posted 30 Jun 2017 , 11:45pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks guys!! I'm afraid it's going to have to be palm shortening beca the only store on the way to my train was Whole Foods and they only had palm shortening !!

hopefully it will be ok!

I'll begin the mixing with the kitchen aid and if it sounds like it's about to crap out I will finish kneading by hand :)

Coffeelover77 Posted 2 Jul 2017 , 3:04am
post #5 of 6

Thanks all- I loved this fondant! I think I've found my fondant recipe, the humidity was 80% today and I was worried but the fondant was easy to make and work with, very pleased to have found this recipe 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 2 Jul 2017 , 3:24am
post #6 of 6

It is the recipe I always use, @Coffeelover77 ‍, and have never had a problem.  I have friends who also add white chocolate, but I haven't tried it.  You can also make chocolate fondant by substituting cocoa for some of the powdered sugar.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%