Naked Cake Help

Decorating By alex_mac Updated 30 Jun 2017 , 2:28am by youngj

alex_mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alex_mac Posted 29 Jun 2017 , 3:51pm
post #1 of 4

Hi all, 

I need some help please. I am making a naked wedding cake. This is my first order this large and as this is usually a side business for me I usually make the cake the day before and then slice, fill, ice and decorate on the day. I have also never made a naked cake before.

I am planning on baking the cakes (lemon ricotta pound cake) on the Wednesday (for the Sunday), can i then split, fill, ice, dowel, assemble and decorate them (with flowers, freeze dried fruits and fresh fruits) on the saturday afternoon? Or am I best to assemble and decorate on the sunday?

Thank you soooooo much for your help!

Alex

3 replies
Jocey1358 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocey1358 Posted 29 Jun 2017 , 10:05pm
post #2 of 4

So I usually like to make sure the cakes are done the day prior to the actual event date because you never know what can happen and at least you can have some time to fix any problems. Especially if this is your first time trying something new I would give a little wiggle room. If I had a cake for Sunday I would bake it Friday and frost/decorate it Saturday. If it's a really big order then I would bake the cakes Thursday (level them,wrap them, and refrigerate them),frost them Friday, and then decorate everything Saturday. Hopefully this helps! 

Goodluck!! 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Jun 2017 , 10:09pm
post #3 of 4

There should be no problem doing it on Sat except for the fresh fruit.   Not sure what the fruit is/how it  ties in.....is it part of the decorations or in the filling or otherwise?  Can you do everything but the fruit ahead, then add the fruit at the last minute before delivering?  It also might depend on the fruit it's self.  What would hold up in a frig Uncovered......do you have a big enough space in the frig to store the whole assembled cake overnight?  These are ?s you're going to have to answer yourself to decide which way to go.

youngj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
youngj Posted 30 Jun 2017 , 2:28am
post #4 of 4

I would bake the cake layers on Friday, leave them out, wrapped. Depending on if you are making a true naked cake or a semi naked cake... For a true naked cake I would split, ice, fill and assemble the cake Sunday put it in the fridge until its time for delivery. If you are making a semi naked cake you could do it either Saturday or Sunday morning and leave it in the fridge uncovered. Then I would add flowers and fruit once delivered. 

I love doing naked cakes so enjoy! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%