Transfat Shortening Ban

Business By Jenn123 Updated 1 Jul 2017 , 12:20am by SandraSmiley

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 29 Jun 2017 , 12:45pm
post #1 of 10

I wasn't aware that the US government was phasing out the use of trans fats and what that would mean to me. Normally I use Wesson Super-quick blend for my buttercream icing. I live in South Georgia so butter really isn't an option in this heat and humidity. Last month the shortening I received was off color and the icing texture was wrong. I thought it was just heat damaged. The distributor salesman says that's the product now. My white, fluffy, delicious crusting buttercream is now flat and off-white. Has anyone found a solution to this? Is there another shortening that has a better formula?

9 replies
MamaGeese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaGeese Posted 29 Jun 2017 , 1:27pm
post #2 of 10

I just gave up trying to find it locally. I'm in GA as well so heat is ALWAYS an issue! No body seems to understand how hard the summers are for us bakers. I get high ratio shortening from The Bakers Kitchen. I wouldn't advise using the CK products brand, it always arrives almost out of date and nasty looking. It's expensive because of shipping. I like the Alpine White or Sweetex brands. I get so angry when companies ban or change products...

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 29 Jun 2017 , 1:35pm
post #3 of 10

I'm just worried that Sweetex and Alpine white might be going through the same issues.

It seems like i've had to deal with a lots of these types of things lately. It sure is hard to provide a quality product when your ingredients change. :(

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Jun 2017 , 10:54pm
post #4 of 10

You know this has got me thinking..........watch out everyone! :) 

No, really aren't 'transfats' from animal fats?  Why couldn't we add in a bit of animal fat (bacon grease or similar) to what is now on the market and creat our own blend.  Figuring out just the right amount will take some guess work but it just might work.  I would think bacon grease woud be the most 'mild' one to use but maybe someone else has a better idea &/or is willing to experiement.

MamaGeese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaGeese Posted 30 Jun 2017 , 12:34am
post #5 of 10

While you're at it kakeladi, please come up with an alternative to boxed cake mixes. The wasc hasn't been the same since they put too much leavener in the new formulas....don't they understand we need our products! If I choose to eat trans fat, that's my (and my customers) business. I wish there were other options...

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 30 Jun 2017 , 2:27am
post #6 of 10

The same thing has crossed my mind, @kakeladi ‍ , except I was thinking of adding lard to Crisco.  Another option might be chicken fat, but it is awfully yellow.  I have made biscuits with lard and chicken fat just to see how they turned out.  I could barely taste either, but both make a softer biscuit than Crisco.  Don't know how they would work in buttercream, but considering all the sugar and flavoring involved, I think it unlikely the taste would come through at all.  I bought a 50 pound box of Sweetex and put most of it in the freezer, so I have a grace period before I have to worry about it.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 30 Jun 2017 , 3:35am
post #7 of 10

Bacon grease would add smoke flavor. I agree that lard may be a great substitute/ modification. Or add "just a tad" and see what happens.

Science experiment time!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 30 Jun 2017 , 8:18pm
post #8 of 10

...... Don't know how...would work in buttercream,... considering all the sugar and flavoring involved,...   unlikely the taste would come through at all.............Bacon grease would add smoke flavor. ...lard may be a great substitute/ modification....add "just a tad" ..

Exactly what I've thought.  I happen to use bacon probaly more than the average as I cannot have beef so that's what came to mind.  And I think such a small amount would be needed it would not come through all the sugar and flavoring as Sandra said.  We as a group need to band together and figure this out!   ROTFLOL!     Shuck the government health people!

AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 30 Jun 2017 , 11:43pm
post #9 of 10

I have no problem with any of your concepts, but please remember that you'll may have to go back to the animal free recipes when your customers mention they are vegan or vegetarian, or mention they practice Judaism or Islam... Not to rain on anyone's parade, because I like all your ideas... Just wanted to remind...

And oddly... I'm in the bacon grease camp... 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 1 Jul 2017 , 12:20am
post #10 of 10

I have to admit, being an old Southern girl, I am partial to bacon grease for cornbread and some veggies :o)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%