Coverting Cake Recipes To Cupcakes Doesn't Work

Baking By MamaGeese Updated 28 Jun 2017 , 1:14am by bubs1stbirthday

MamaGeese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaGeese Posted 27 Jun 2017 , 8:15pm
post #1 of 5

I have almost given up on cupcakes. I have my favorite recipes down pat, and yet when I try to make cupcakes from same recipes, they never come out as well....the texture is wrong, they don't even taste the same!!! I am a licensed cottage food baker and know what I'm doing, but for some reason an "out of this world" cupcake has been out of my reach !! I know there has to some science behind the explanation, I need to hear from some of you pros !!! Thanks

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Jun 2017 , 8:51pm
post #2 of 5

Maybe because I have always made cupcakes from doctored mixes I have never had failures - well maybe I shouldn't say *never* but can't remember anything specific :) 

MamaGeese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaGeese Posted 27 Jun 2017 , 9:49pm
post #3 of 5

I used to doctor cake mixes too, till all the companies changed their formulas!! Made me madder than a wet hen...I've yet to find one now that doesn't' bake up with large tunnels and holes (didn't do that before). I've written all the companies, but they don't care that home bakers and professionals depended on those products as they were for our recipes,  it's all about money. Thanks though. I've got to keep trying! 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Jun 2017 , 10:03pm
post #4 of 5

Have you tried the *original* WASC recipe?  That's what I have always used.  I just made some around Easter and not a one came tunneled.  Maybe you are mixing at too high a speed?  I posted a comment in the thread of the recipe regarding using a mixer & wire whip for some of them. Here is my post:....just used this recipe to make some 10 dozen cupcakes.  I used Pillsbury's 'pink lemonade' and Duncan Hinze's french vanilla, and Betty Crocker chocolate - all purchased at a 99 cent store.  To the lemon I added about 2 tablespoons candied lemon peel and for the chocolate I used the 1 & 1/3 cup liquid of strong brewed coffee, then baked them at 350 degrees F for about 20 minutes.  The main reason for posting today is to let you know I no longer have a KA mixer - used a hand held one for the choco and vanilla but used a wire whisk for the lemon - just to let everyone know it can be done!  2 minutes of hand whipping was hard on these old arthritic hands but yes it can be done :( 

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 28 Jun 2017 , 1:14am
post #5 of 5

I work from scratch and make the same mix no matter what size I make with the same results, perhaps the cupcakes are slightly more fluffy as there is less batter in there but otherwise they are the same.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%