Modeling Chocolate In Florida?

Decorating By Rachel19 Updated 17 Aug 2017 , 12:30am by Rachel19

Rachel19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachel19 Posted 26 Jun 2017 , 3:14am
post #1 of 13

I have a wedding coming up in August that will have antlers on top made of copper tubing and modeling chocolate.  I have never worked with modeling chocolate before.  It will be at an indoor venue, but my question is if I would have issues with it during transport.  I'm in Florida, so in August it could easily be 100 degrees and crazy humid.  Would I be better off maybe putting them in a cooler for the drive, then attaching on-site?

12 replies
aldonza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aldonza Posted 26 Jun 2017 , 5:24am
post #2 of 13

Can't wait to see pics!

cutiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiger Posted 27 Jun 2017 , 1:20pm
post #3 of 13

I live in South Carolina and fight the heat and humidity all summer.  I would definitely keep the antlers in a cooler and attach at the last minute.  Do they have to be made from modeling chocolate?  Especially if there is any chance that it will be hot in the venue.  I made some using wire and fondant and let them dry for a week, and added tylose to the fondant, and they still didn't hold up due to the humidity.  Sure hope what ever you use goes well for you!  

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 27 Jun 2017 , 6:55pm
post #4 of 13

Since antlers are relatively simple and do not require a lot of intricate details, I would probably use fondant or a fondant/modeling chocolate mixture.  I've done a lot a work with modeling chocolate and believe it should be fine if it is in an air conditioned environment.  I've only experienced a problem when it is stored in an unairconditioned space.  I live in Tennessee and the summer heat and humidity is almost as bad as Florida.  Just to be extra cautious, you could transport the antlers in a cooler and attach at the venue.

Rachel19 Posted 27 Jun 2017 , 9:12pm
post #5 of 13

Thanks for all of your suggestions!

The only reason I am wanting to use modeling chocolate is that the cake will be in the center of the room, and I want to minimize any kind of seams.

Would I be able to blend it the seams well with a fondant/modeling chocolate mixture?

SandraSmiley Posted 27 Jun 2017 , 9:55pm
post #6 of 13

No, @Rachel19 ‍, the 50/50 mix will not blend as well as strictly modeling chocolate.  I have modeling chocolate figures all over my house, some two years old, and the only time there has ever been a problem is when they are upstairs where the air conditioner is not working properly and it get very hot.  Florida is hot, but you are going to go from your air conditioned home to your air conditioned car and into the air conditioned venue.  You really should not have a problem.

cutiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiger Posted 28 Jun 2017 , 11:29am
post #7 of 13

I've always been afraid to use modeling chocolate so I am so glad to read your post, SandraSmiley!  Thanks for the great info...that is what I love about this site...we are all willing to share info!

Rachel19 Posted 16 Aug 2017 , 11:42pm
post #8 of 13

Just wanted to give you guys an update!  The wedding was last Saturday.  So, I made the antlers out of copper tubing and home made modeling chocolate, then dusted them with gold lister dust.  After doing a few trials of leaving a piece of modeling chocolate outside for ten minutes at a time I decided they didn't need to be put in a cooler.  The temperature was 92 degrees Fahrenheit, and I believe the humidity was around 80%.  

I made them a few days in advance so they would dry.  Took them straight from the ac to a van that had already been cooled down and straight into the venue.  Kept them out of direct sunlight.  I left them in a block of styrofoam for transport, and attached on site.  I had no issues with them whatsoever!  No drooping at all, they did sweat a bit, but it dried on its own and left no damage.  Also used it on a grooms cake for the same wedding to which I will address in another reply.

Here is a picture of them on the cake:Modeling Chocolate In Florida?Modeling Chocolate In Florida?

Rachel19 Posted 16 Aug 2017 , 11:50pm
post #9 of 13

So, the bride wanted a sculpted wood duck on top of a tree stump for the grooms cake.  With my experiments with the modeling chocolate, I decided I would carve the duck out of cake and cover in modeling chocolate for all of the little details.  I attached pictures of the process from start to finish.  

I etched out all of the details, then painted them with petal dusts mixed with vodka.  The duck had quite a bit of sweating during transport which made some of the colors bleed into eachother just a bit.  Besides that I didn't have any kind of drooping in the tail or beak which is what I expected.

Modeling Chocolate In Florida?Modeling Chocolate In Florida?Modeling Chocolate In Florida?Modeling Chocolate In Florida?Modeling Chocolate In Florida?Modeling Chocolate In Florida?Modeling Chocolate In Florida?Modeling Chocolate In Florida?Modeling Chocolate In Florida?

Rachel19 Posted 16 Aug 2017 , 11:50pm
post #10 of 13

So, the bride wanted a sculpted wood duck on top of a tree stump for the grooms cake.  With my experiments with the modeling chocolate, I decided I would carve the duck out of cake and cover in modeling chocolate for all of the little details.  I attached pictures of the process from start to finish.  

I etched out all of the details, then painted them with petal dusts mixed with vodka.  The duck had quite a bit of sweating during transport which made some of the colors bleed into eachother just a bit.  Besides that I didn't have any kind of drooping in the tail or beak which is what I expected.

Modeling Chocolate In Florida?Modeling Chocolate In Florida?Modeling Chocolate In Florida?Modeling Chocolate In Florida?Modeling Chocolate In Florida?Modeling Chocolate In Florida?Modeling Chocolate In Florida?Modeling Chocolate In Florida?Modeling Chocolate In Florida?

Rachel19 Posted 16 Aug 2017 , 11:55pm
post #11 of 13

Forgot to mention also, for the tree bark I used about a 60/40 fondant modeling chocolate mixture.  A bit obsessed with it now!  

SandraSmiley Posted 17 Aug 2017 , 12:19am
post #12 of 13

Both of your cakes are freakin' awesome, Rachel19!  The wedding cake is beautiful and the antlers look perfect.  Your woody is simply amazing!  You made a homerun with both of these!

Don't you just LOVE modeling chocolate?!!  And it tastes good, too!

Rachel19 Posted 17 Aug 2017 , 12:30am
post #13 of 13

Thanks so much!  Modeling chocolate is my new favorite thing!  Even for the buds of my wafer roses!  I'll make sure I always have some on hand!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%