Rustic Buttercream Wedding Cake

Decorating By Chell2007 Updated 10 Jul 2017 , 7:27pm by Bakerlady2

Chell2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chell2007 Posted 25 Jun 2017 , 12:56pm
post #1 of 33

Hi, I'm new here.  My niece asked me to make her wedding cake.  I don't decorate cakes professionally, just for my family.  She wants the cake below, but I can't quite figure out the technique.  It looks like the horizontal rustic buttercream technique where you just drag a small offset spatula around the cake, but I've practiced and it doesn't quite look like that.  Are they using a different technique or just a really small spatula?

Rustic Buttercream Wedding Cake

32 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Jun 2017 , 3:37pm
post #2 of 33

use the handle of a teaspoon -- try different items to make the design -- but yes you are correct -- something is held up against the cake as it is turned on the turntable -- looks to be smaller than an offset spatula -- doncha think?

-K8memphis Posted 25 Jun 2017 , 3:38pm
post #3 of 33

and it looks as if the icing is being pushed up a bit not just indented -- see that? seems a bit angled to moi

-K8memphis Posted 25 Jun 2017 , 3:40pm
post #4 of 33

hey -- see the double lines there sometimes? the caker may have gone around twice on each row --

Chell2007 Posted 25 Jun 2017 , 3:58pm
post #5 of 33

Thank you...I will try different things.  It's a bit different from the other cakes I have seen, but it is definitely pretty.

fegbarton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fegbarton Posted 25 Jun 2017 , 4:16pm
post #6 of 33

Use a Triangular Cake Decorating Comb

Chell2007 Posted 25 Jun 2017 , 4:40pm
post #7 of 33

I'll check them out. I didn't think it was a comb. 

Thanks

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 25 Jun 2017 , 5:53pm
post #8 of 33

I agree that it wasn't a comb, too irregular, which is part of it's charm.  I have the impression, because of the depth of the grooves, that something rounded was used, like the handle of a wooden spoon maybe.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 25 Jun 2017 , 5:56pm
post #9 of 33

It would not have to be identical to this, @Chell2007 ‍, to be gorgeous!  Rustic buttercream is a winner, in my book, whatever the texture.

Chell2007 Posted 25 Jun 2017 , 6:54pm
post #10 of 33

Thank you everyone!  I think she will be happy no matter what. 

Chell2007 Posted 25 Jun 2017 , 6:54pm
post #11 of 33

Thank you everyone!  I think she will be happy no matter what. 

-K8memphis Posted 25 Jun 2017 , 8:15pm
post #12 of 33

hey, you can take an old plastic lid and cut your own too blush

i know it will be beautiful -- best to you

Chell2007 Posted 25 Jun 2017 , 8:30pm
post #13 of 33

Great idea!  Thanks for all of your help. 

Bakerlady2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakerlady2 Posted 26 Jun 2017 , 1:30am
post #14 of 33

I made a cake with similar texture... what I did was icing the cake in layers... starting at the top  I would icing 1" all the way around ..then icing the next 1' below that but over lapping the strip of icing above it. I did this all the way down the cake. 

Chell2007 Posted 26 Jun 2017 , 10:26am
post #15 of 33

Interesting Bakerlady2.  I think I've seen a cake like that before.  The one above looks like it has indents though.  Do you have a picture of your cake?  Thanks!

640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 27 Jun 2017 , 1:06pm
post #16 of 33

It's not letting me post a pic, but try a palette knife.  Very narrow on the tip and rounded.

Chell2007 Posted 27 Jun 2017 , 1:08pm
post #17 of 33

Thanks 640Cake...I just ordered one!  smile

Cakelady001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakelady001 Posted 27 Jun 2017 , 1:58pm
post #18 of 33

Use a regular cake smoother with a straight edge. Hold it straight, but when you turn the turntable, put slight pressure on the bottom front corner. Make sure to hold it straight and as the cake turns, slowly move your hand up the cake, gradually and this makes the design. Keeping your arm and your hand straight, but gradually lifting your arm with help guide you to making a straight design.

Chell2007 Posted 27 Jun 2017 , 3:02pm
post #19 of 33

Quote by @Cakelady001 on 57 minutes ago

Use a regular cake smoother with a straight edge. Hold it straight, but when you turn the turntable, put slight pressure on the bottom front corner. Make sure to hold it straight and as the cake turns, slowly move your hand up the cake, gradually and this makes the design. Keeping your arm and your hand straight, but gradually lifting your arm with help guide you to making a straight design.

Hi Cakelady001 - I did a practice cake with a small cake smoother and the indention seemed too big.  That's why I was thinking a palate knife would be better.  Maybe it was my technique...maybe I need to overlap the lines. Hmm...

Coffeelover77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coffeelover77 Posted 27 Jun 2017 , 3:33pm
post #20 of 33

What about a couple of really small spoons? 

CathiePoppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CathiePoppy Posted 27 Jun 2017 , 4:03pm
post #21 of 33

It looks like they have used the Wilton icing comb. But just have done a rough job of it. (Kinda like how plasterers sometimes used to applied render to houses in the 1970s... ) 

Chell2007 Posted 27 Jun 2017 , 5:09pm
post #22 of 33

Interesting... 

Coffeelover77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coffeelover77 Posted 27 Jun 2017 , 5:13pm
post #23 of 33

Do you have an icing comb? Honestly I'd just practice with the comb on a small cake then send her a picture and say "is this ok"

Chell2007 Posted 27 Jun 2017 , 8:03pm
post #24 of 33

I have an ateco comb but it's more square imprinted when I tried it. I practiced with a small spatula and she loved it but it's not the picture so I just wanted to see if anyone knew how they did it. Thanks

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Jun 2017 , 8:54pm
post #25 of 33

If you got a good reaction from the client, then go w/it.  It really doesn't matter if it's slightly different......almost noone can *EXACTLY!* duplicate a pictured cake.   Many decorators cannot always come up w/an exact match of their own creations.

Chell2007 Posted 27 Jun 2017 , 10:27pm
post #26 of 33

Thank you... I guess it's the perfectionism in me but I know it's not realistic. I really appreciate everyone's help!!

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 28 Jun 2017 , 12:19am
post #27 of 33

No one seems to have suggested this. Rather than guessing how this technique was achieved, why don't you contact the decorator who created this cake. The Cake Designer llc. I found her on FB in a quick google search.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.facebook.com/The-Cake-Designer-llc-

I am quite sure she would be flattered that you would like to do a version of her cake. After asking her permission to use her design, quite sure she will share how it was done. I would share if asked. 

Chell2007 Posted 28 Jun 2017 , 9:46am
post #28 of 33

Thanks Jchuck - I did consider it, but I don't bake professionally, so I just thought they may not want to share.  I didn't consider that they may be flattered. 

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 28 Jun 2017 , 1:25pm
post #29 of 33

I'm not a professional by any means. And actually, I coukd care less if someone copied my cake. I've been asked on fb cake pages I belong to share a technique, recipe, etc. But this decorator is in business, whole different ball game. Personally I feel it's the polite thing to do ask decorators permission. But since this design is so very common, she's really only sharing her own version/technique. I would certainly give it a shot, couldn't hurt to ask.

And by the way, I think the end of a thin wooden spoon was used as was previously posted. Pushed in and turning your turntable at the same time. Created the indentations and the small ridges. Whenever I want to try something new, I use a overturned bowl and practice on that. Easier to scrape the icing off, and try again.

Good luck with your cake.

mikedoescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mikedoescakes Posted 28 Jun 2017 , 7:23pm
post #30 of 33

Perhaps this was addressed in a previous message as I only scanned them. The key to this technique is a turntable. It's a very easy technique to do and you can do it in seconds. As long as you have a turntable, you can use any tool for different effects. I have always used my angled frosting knife. With your freshly frosted cake, start at the bottom (or top center of the cake) and keep the turntable spinning as you run your knife into the frosting. It only required very slight pressure and you can easily make corrections and change the spacing as you're turning the table. It took longer to write this than it takes to do it, literally. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%