Whipped Cream Icing

Decorating By aldonza Updated 26 Jun 2017 , 12:46pm by Coffeelover77

aldonza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aldonza Posted 25 Jun 2017 , 2:44am
post #1 of 11

If someone wants a whipped cream icing what would you recommend? I would also like to decorate and pipe with it. Italian meringue? Swiss meringue? Actual whipping cream? I've always used buttercream I haven't made anything else besides butter cream and fudge frosting to be honest. I'm happy to take tried-and-true recipe suggestions please. Yummyness is a must!!!!!

10 replies
Coffeelover77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coffeelover77 Posted 25 Jun 2017 , 12:49pm
post #2 of 11

You can make a stabilized whipped cream by using gelatin to it. THis makes it stiffer to frost with and still very yummy!

if its super hot though I'd probably use a different frosting. Stabilized whipped cream will hold up better in heat that just whipped cream but it still likely would melt quickly compared to butter cream

also make sure people know the cake is no longer vegetarian!

aldonza Posted 25 Jun 2017 , 1:44pm
post #4 of 11

I was wondering about that Wilton recipe. I checked it out. So you've tried it? It's yummy? I think you meant vegan but no worries they are meat eaters lol. Thank you

katy_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katy_cakes Posted 25 Jun 2017 , 2:44pm
post #5 of 11

I made a stabilized whipped cream recently with milk powder as the stabilizer (I think nonfat milk powder is what I had on hand). It kept it's shape for days, but that was in the house and in the refrigerator....I don't know about outdoor conditions or hotter conditions with it yet. 

http://www.errenskitchen.com/how-to-make-whipped-cream-that-holds-its-shape-for-days/

Coffeelover77 Posted 25 Jun 2017 , 2:56pm
post #6 of 11

No I didn't to mean vegan! Gelatin is not vegetarian :) 

ive never made stabilized whipped cream but I have eaten it and it's great!

aldonza Posted 25 Jun 2017 , 8:31pm
post #7 of 11

Ew what the heck is in gelatin?????

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Jun 2017 , 8:41pm
post #8 of 11

......Ew what the heck is in gelatin?????.......

Haven't you ever heard???  It's made of old horses hoofs! LOL

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 25 Jun 2017 , 9:17pm
post #9 of 11

@aldonza ‍, gelatin is what make Jello gel.  It is also used in canning and a lot of other foods to help it set.  I has not flavor (or very little that I've ever noticed) and is used in a lot of cake decorating products, some fondants, cake lace, gum paste.  I have made stablized whipped cream by adding gelatin and it doesn't change the taste at all.  It just makes it more firm and holds up very well.  I didn't pipe it, though, so cannot speak to that.  It is my guess that it would have piped beautifully, based upon the consistency.

aldonza Posted 26 Jun 2017 , 4:52am
post #10 of 11

@kakeladi ‍ actually we would dump gelatin in the horses water to make their hooves grow faster so they can get shod. works for fingernails too.

Gelatin is a yellowish, odorless, and nearly tasteless substance that is made by prolonged boiling of skin, cartilage, and bones from animals. It's made primarily from the stuff meat industries have left over — we're talking aboutpork skins, horns, and cattlebones.Oct 20, 2015

Um yeah kinda gross when you think about using it for cake.

Great soup though.

Coffeelover77 Posted 26 Jun 2017 , 12:46pm
post #11 of 11

if using a spoon of gelatin in your cake is very bothersome to you and you wish to keep the cake vegetarian then you could try the milk powder suggestion, or use a buttercream instead :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%