Anyone Read The Book "alwasys The Baker Never The Bride"?

Lounge By kakeladi Updated 26 Jun 2017 , 7:52pm by kakeladi

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Jun 2017 , 7:12pm
post #1 of 7

I just discovered this book by Sandra D. Bricker published in 2011.  There are a few recipes & suggestions that I wonder if anyone has tried?  A couple of wedding cake  & cookie recipes along w/ 'directions' on how to make gp or fondant roses, tips for decorating, making fondant, how to crumb coat and stack tiers etc, etc.   Some of the information I don't agree with - no suprise after being on this board (& others) for more than 20 yrs:)  Anyhoooo, let's discuss the book.

6 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 24 Jun 2017 , 11:52pm
post #2 of 7

I have not seen it, @kakeladi ‍, but would like to hear your opinion on Ms Bricker's advise.

kakeladi Posted 25 Jun 2017 , 8:12pm
post #3 of 7

One of the 'tips' on stacking wedding cakes was: be sure to "use 2 or 3 dowels for support."   *2 or 3*???  Maybe in the next to the top tier, but for the base cake one needs at least 5 and more if it's like a 14 or 16"er w/3 more tiers above it.    They talk about the main character's "sour cream white wedding  cake" recipe winning awards but never actually expand on it or give a recipe for it - instead giving a general 'white cake' recipe :) 

SandraSmiley Posted 25 Jun 2017 , 8:24pm
post #4 of 7

Oh, you are so right on the doweling!  I am totally paranoid and subscribe to the formula of one dowel (or straw) for every inch in diameter of the tier that will be setting on them - for an 8" base tier and a 6" top tier, I would use six dowels.  Maybe overkill, but I would rather be safe than sorry!

I have no interest in any other white, sour cream cake since I discovered your WASC.  You cannot improve upon perfection!

It would be fun to read this book for the entertainment factor.  If you find any more goodies, please share!

kakeladi Posted 25 Jun 2017 , 9:30pm
post #5 of 7

OMgoodness Sandra!  No, no - that's over doweling :)  For a 6" tier there is almost no weight so no more than  3 in the shape of a triangle is needed, but for  a 10" & 6" on top of a 14 then 5 is the right # :)  You are taking away edible cake and serving slices w/holes in them using that many.

SandraSmiley Posted 25 Jun 2017 , 11:28pm
post #6 of 7

LOL - I always make so much extra cake that the portions displaced by dowels would never be missed.  You can tell I am just a "for fun" baker!  I know you had told me before that the number of dowels I used were too many, but I am a real chicken....heart.  For some reason, my cakes are always super heavy, too.  Where most people do 4" tiers, mine are always at least 6" and often taller.  They weigh a ton.  My husband always moves the stacked cakes for me because I cannot pick them up!

kakeladi Posted 26 Jun 2017 , 7:52pm
post #7 of 7

Oh well, I'm sure you are not the only person doing that :)  Let's just agree to diagree LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%